Farymann A-30 throttle stuck

May 18, 2014
Pearson P-30 Portland
I just replaced the leaking high pressure fuel line from the injector pump and after Bleeding the fuel system I got the engine running with help from some starting fluid. Problem is the engine runs wide open at 2700rpm. after shutting it down I could not find an obvious problem with the throttle linkage. I restarted the engine and the same thing happened. could there be a broken gear or lever in side the housing which is not allowing the engine to throttle down? The engine is in a 74 Pearson 30 and is a single cylinder diesel (A-30) I can't seem to find a repair manual for the engine as it is 40 years old. Any body have any suggestion? Or contacts for Parts. I live in the Portland OR area and have not been able to find a Farymann representative on the West coast. Thank you.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
The throttle on a diesel is a speed governor, not a throttle like a gas engine.

Look for a return spring somewhere near the speed control cable. A yanmar has 2, one inside the other also inside a cover plate.

Walt O

May 13, 2014
Tartan 27 Port Charlotte
I just replaced the leaking high pressure fuel line from the injector pump and after Bleeding the fuel system I got the engine running with help from some starting fluid. Problem is the engine runs wide open at 2700rpm. after shutting it down I could not find an obvious problem with the throttle linkage. I restarted the engine and the same thing happened. could there be a broken gear or lever in side the housing which is not allowing the engine to throttle down? The engine is in a 74 Pearson 30 and is a single cylinder diesel (A-30) I can't seem to find a repair manual for the engine as it is 40 years old. Any body have any suggestion? Or contacts for Parts. I live in the Portland OR area and have not been able to find a Farymann representative on the West coast. Thank you.
I have a Farymann A-30 in my Tartan T27-2 #695 Patience (1978).
I am not sure of your linkage set up on your Pearson, but the Farymann seems the same.
I will get as much information (manuals) that can in the next few days and will get back to you.
Good to see that you have found your problem.
Walt, Port Charlotte Florida