Fan inside fridge/icebox

Sep 21, 2024
Hunter 376 Miami
Hi, just purchased a hunter 376 and noticed fridge wasn't cooling. Freezer side works fine. Also noticed that the fan inside was not working. I have done a few searches with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
Hi and welcome, can you post some photos? Congrats on the new boat!

Are you talking about a fan between the fridge and freezer?

You most likely have a spillover system. Whenever the freezer compartment compressor is active, the thermostat located in the fridge compartment will be powered. It then controls a small fan that helps move cold air from the freezer side to the fridge side but only when the compressor is active. Set that thermostat to 3 to start.

The power for this thermostat comes off the fan terminal of the compressor control module.

Sep 21, 2024
Hunter 376 Miami
I can capture some photos tomorrow when i am at the boat. Yes, it's the fan between the freezer and the fridge. Freezer gets cold but fridge does not. Saw the fan wasn't running so i assumed it is bad. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Looks to me like this is not an ideal setup but not sure what more i can do at this point.

Jun 17, 2022
Hunter 380 Comox BC
It's a pretty good setup actually.... just one compressor and evaporator plate instead of two. When you only need a fridge, just use the freezer as a fridge and switch the fridge section thermostat off.

I'd check that the power cables are plugged in, then switch that thermostat to max. Mine has a fuse about 6in from where the power leads connect to the compressor control board fan output terminals. Fan could be bad, they are pretty cheap...

Sep 30, 2008
Hunter 37.5 37.5 Norfolk
I installed the system on OLD CROW my Hunter 37.5 that marcham described as OLD CROW just had a very big and deep icebox. I made a few interior modifications to the icebox by installing a rack and building a small freezer section around the evaporator, using insulated foam that has aluminum sheet over the foam. You ca get a 4x8 sheet at Home Depot pretty inexpensively and it gives you plenty of material to correct any cutting mistakes or alterations you desire to make. It works for short weekend duration cruises. If I go out for more than a week I have a portable freezer that works of AC or 12VDC. I typically only have it running when the engine is running so as not to stress batteries. I have 4 100AH deep cycle AGM batteries and a Balmar 100 amp alternator with an external Balmar regulator that keeps batteries alive. So far works pretty good. I also have 356 watts of solar panels that I energize when sailing and the engine is off. So far so good.

Jul 23, 2018
Hunter 45 CC San Diego
Hey, we all have the same issues with Refrig/frezzer combos packed into tight spaces without good ventilation.
I went to Best Buy and you can buy computer cooling fans (12v) and place one next to compressor and 1or 2 in cabinet to move air out of cabinet area (drill holes). Its all Thermodynamics and heat transfer.
My frig and Frezz work much more efficiently now .
Capt JD

• Helpful

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Moving the air in the box is a lot less taxing on your Batteries than if you push the freezer to chill the whole box.

Sep 21, 2024
Hunter 376 Miami
Hi everyone and thank you for all the information. As a new boat owner all the info from this community is incredible.

Can i just purchase any 12-volt fan and stick it in the fridge freezer? Also, can't seem to see any indication on the thermostat on where to set the settings. Not sure if to the right or to the left is to turn it on or off. last question if the thermostat is bad any info on what model or where to get one?

Thanks again.