family cruising/NOW or NEVER.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

John Griffin

Whilst researching the build and cost of a used hunter 35',we found this forum and it seemed like a perfect place to ask advice/opinions. we are about to depart on our 26'westerly sloop [New yanmar 28/sails etc; good to go] - and find something slightly bigger along the way. It is our intent to let go of our teaching positions and home school the children-Emma[8],Henry[7] relying on a budget of 12-15k a year.If this provokes advice and or comment,please chat with us.My wife says "it's NOW or NEVER!!!"

J

John Finch

GO

John: You should read "COMING ABOUT, a Family Passage at Sea" by Susan Tyler Hitchcock (Ballatine Books-New York). It will either pump you up or discourage you. I believe the former. Her family did the very thing you are describing, only in a, little larger, borrowed boat. Either way, it's a good read. Good luck and fair winds, John Finch

G

Greg Stebbins

Better to try and fail.....

John and Co. I'm trapped in snow and ice with the kids today so you get my opinion. I think you should do it but do it carefully. The only things you can't recover from are death and missed opportunity. There are many on this forum that will help you with the boat specific questions and live-aboard issues. The owner directory will help you there. And what's going on here anyway? My wife hit me with the "let's retire" stuff again this morning again. In my opinion, we are at heart just middle class wonks and not emotionally equipped for the leisure life. In 20 years when it's acceptable to not work maybe. Oh well, This to shall pass again again. GO HAVE FUN (again)!! Greg

L

LaDonna Bubak - Planet Catalina

Bye-Bye!!!

If you feel ready to go, go. Exactly what's stopping you? You have income, you're teachers & can easily home school, you could even work along the way if you needed to stop for awhile. What a terrific postition you're in! Have you lived aboard before? My only suggestion would be to live aboard for several months before you actually depart so everyone can get used to it before you're thrown into nasty seas/weather, etc. Live especially frugally for the first few months so you know exactly how much to budget for "normal" living. There are TONS of websites that can tell you stories of those who've done it etc. Email me at ladonna@planetcat.net & I'd be happy to forward some URLs to you. Good luck! LaDonna

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Best place to find a boat

is in a harbor, and if you go you'll be in plenty of those. Heck, it sounds like there's reason not to go and you can always come back! Go for it! ph.

G

Greg Beckner

Going, going......

John A good book I found "Sensible Cruising-the Thoreau approach" by Don Casey and Lew Hackler may be helpful if you haven't found it already. Their basic message is If not today or soon then probably never. So go. If its not right you can always come back. From my own experience I can tell you that if you wait much longer and your kids get much older they will make a big stink about leaving "everything!". So now I'm waiting until they leave so I can leave. Best wishes and a big wave from the dock. Greg Beckner s/v Champagne Girl

R

Ron

Two More Books

John.. Two more very good books are "Voyaging on a Small Budget," by Anne Hill, and "Ocean Cruising on a Budget," by Anne Hammick. Hill's book describes cruising on practically nothing so with the amount you have for income and her book you should live rather well. Hammick's book is a little more realistic, but also has plenty of ideas to save a buck. I bought both through Amazon.com Good Luck Ron Talisman H37C

J

Jay Hill

Hey Ron

Went to amazon.com and looked up Ocean Cruising on a Budget. There was one reader review: Ron from Houston TX, I assume this is you. The review stated the book covered very little on the "budget" side of the house which is what I am also interested in. could you be a little more specific with what you were looking for and what you found in the book? My library budget is getting too large (almost $1,000 in 1999) and I'm trying to cut back to really useful books. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. Oh yeah, "Voyaging on a Small Income" is out of print, but I ordered anyway as Amazon has found many books for me this way. If they can't get one, is there any chance I could borrow yours for a week? continued in email...

J

John Griffin

For Ron &advisors.

This forum is proving to be very helpfull and we would like to thank all of you for taking the time to offer sage advice and encouragement. The family has decided that we will go a'cruising,I just have to ensure a steady cash flow. Have any of you found enjoyable locations where you have decided to stay longer and work to replenish the kitty? What have been some of your experiences working along the way? Thank's again for all your help. JOHN.

B

Bryan

Legend 36 info

Approaching my one year anniversery as a (satisfied, happy, thrilled) '88 35 owner, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about the boat that weren't answered in the reviews or posts. Email at BRC@ferrellscf.com.

M

Mike Gallagher

What an experience for your kids

John I'm sure that it will be a great experience for your family. Go now. Don't wait is the advice we keep getting from cruisers we talk to. I can't imagine anything more awesome than being raised for at least part of a childhood on a boat. You will be giving your children a gift that very few ever get.

Status
Not open for further replies.