Family Cruise

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
So, my number one son and his family arrive this Thursday from Texas for a couple of weeks on the water on Granpa's boat. Border still closed, at least until July 21; July 4th fireworks celebration at Fisherman's Bay likely out this year. Watmough Bay with some shore duty on the itinerary as well as other points of interest. If any of you fellow boaters find yourself around the islands, please let me know. Hail me on VHF for a rendezvous of sorts. Love to hook up, so to speak. You will be able to identify our boat by the "Sailboat Owners" burgee flying proudly from our courtesy flag lanyard; a special gift from John Shepard.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Oak Harbor is having their "on the harbor" fireworks on the 4th this year.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
A lot of counties are going to a 6pm to midnight on the 4th only fireworks restriction.

Dec 25, 2000
The crew has finally settled on a plan of sorts. They defined it as wanting to go to places. Okay, so Watmough and Cypress landed at the top of the list followed by Friday Harbor, Parks Bay, then Anacortes (to pick up the Admiral). We'll be out for five or so days. I'll be listening for our hail (Belle-Vie) on VHF if anyone wants to meet up.

Ran out of time for the Lopez fireworks. This Monday is now our cast off day and will likely head for Cypress Cove, a new destination. Getting pumped.

Dec 25, 2000
La Conner will have a 15 minute show tonight, so our crew wants to attend. Interesting thing about their show. The official fireworks start at 10:00 P.M., thereabouts. The Swinomish Tribe folks will start theirs around 6:00 P.M., pause briefly for the official show, then continue on until 2:00 A.M. the next morning. The State has no control over the Tribe's fireworks activities, so you can buy just about anything you want from the numerous stands on the reservation side of the channel.

When I was a youngster, I made a firecracker pistol out of copper tubing and fittings in order to shoot off firecrackers. Made two yesterday afternoon for my grandkids; Brady and Caterina. Sheesh, copper tubing sure is expensive these days.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I made a firecracker pistol out of copper tubing and fittings in order to shoot off firecrackers.
Oh my Terry. Hoping ATF is not listening....
Hoping the weather gives you some sailing time. Sounds like a good cruise adventure. Hitting some of the fun places.

I am still sequestered in Oregon. Attending to the raising of a 10 week old Aussie Puppy names Lilly.

Once she gets her shots, I will be able to move about more freely and boat time is the priority. I have been told the windows are finished and ready for pick up. Getting the cabin deck painted and the windows installed is the ticket to being able to daysail.

Dec 25, 2000
Fam had a nice time during our cruise. We experienced a delightful fireworks display in LaConner that lasted for hours. Some great sail time, too. Spent a couple of days in Cypress Cove hiking ashore over the old logging road to Pelican Beach, then picked up the Admiral in Anacortes who wanted to joined our merry crew.

Roche Harbor was added to our itinerary where the fam enjoyed nosing around the town and surrounding area with the kids rollicking in the swimming pool. As always the flag ceremony was humble and respectful. Another top priority was shrimping off of the Friday Harbor docks. The kids had fun catching quite a few, then releasing them all, too small for a meal, snack, or even a tidbit. While there we visited with our boating buddy Tom Burgess who remains eager for the border to open up so he can head north.

Oldest son and his family have gone back to Texas leaving us with a very quiet home. Perhaps time to head back out again for a few weeks of solo cruising.