Faire price for Beneteau First 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hans Solmssen

I am looking at buying a 1982 First 25 for $15'000.00. One owner, he's too old to keep it, and says he doesn't want much for it. I will look at it to see if any of the standing rigging has been replaced or sails. This would be a first boat for me. Any comments? Thank you very much. Hans Solmssen

C

Charlie Gruetzner - BeneteauOwners.net

Fair Price

Hans, as far as the far price is concerned I would look further into this website since people sell there boats here and see if there are any comparable boats to yours. If not, try yachtworld.com for pricing of the boat. If this is your first boat my advice would be to have it surveyed by a competent surveyor. This way you know for sure that there are no serious problems with the boat. Good luck and congratulatiosn on your first boat Charlie Gruetzner

Jun 25, 2004
Islander 36 San Francisco
Condition . . . Condition . . . Condition

As the old story goes what are the three most important things when buying a boat? Since this is your first boat I would recommend you follow Charlie's advice and get a survey. As for what a boat is worth well that is all over the map or chart as they say. It is worth what someone pays for it. A good place to start is yatchworld.com but remember very few boats go for the asking price but then again even less are in "perfect" condition. I recently tried to purchase a F235 and the one I wanted went for $17.5K because it was in almost like new condition. I passed on a couple at $10K because I knew they would both be projects. Project are OK if you have more time than $$$ but for those that would rather spending time sailing than working on the boat sometimes it makes a lot of sense to pay a bit more. The best thing is to educate yourself to the market by spending enough time looking around at what is for sale. Also once you do make a purchase remember to enjoy your boat and not second guess yourself. There is always someone that "got a better deal". However a good thing to keep in mind is that a boat that you actually can sail is a lot better than the one thay you should have purchased! Good Luck. --Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.