EZ Steer Hunter 260

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Can someone share the proper item numbers for the EZ Steer attachment for the Hunter 260? I’m a bit confused on the different mounting options and lengthsI’ll be connecting the rudder to a Yamaha 9.9hp.

My boat came with a “homemade” solution that I just removed as it was causing some issues and the EZ steer system seems like the best option.

Thanks!

Ajp

Oct 23, 2019
Hunter marine 270 Merrick
Nothing failsafe but you should connect to the rudder post/shaft, not the rudder itself. Don't need to drill holes in rudder then. They make a kit for this, give them a call. my 2001 was connected to the rudder. When bringing it home last year by sea, the connection from the rudder snapped off. Bought a new one, then did some reading. They recommend removing the connection when not under power. Both the rudder and kicker connections are very low in the water making this difficult. Less strain on the system. You might want a restrictor cord to prevent the rudder and motor from going in opposite directions when reversing hard leading to the ez steer unit separating. I did that with a sail tie.

Had a 26 with a tiller and kicker not connected. Found that backing down is easier at times with the ability to put rudder and kicker in different directions. With a wheel, not as easy.

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-co...mation/260_1997_2005/260 EZSTEER Products.pdf page 14

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I think @Kermit put one on his 260. Maybe he will see this post and chime in.... but lately he has been sailing his land yatch ....:poke:

Jul 3, 2020
Hunter 260 Sarasota
Thanks, guys! When I got my 260, it had a non-adjustable homemade bar on it, and I loved the utility of having the engine attached to the rudder, but the downside is it was too long and was pushing some of the bracketry on my engine into the gelcoat of the starboard step and throwing my gear cable out of adjustment so I took it off. I was shocked how poorly the boat maneuvered in small spaces with the engine locked straight. Having this connection (and one properly made) is told a 1000% necessity on this boat.