external fuel pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I bought a small Facet fuel pump to prime my fuel system during filter changes. The old perkins manual lift pump is frozen and TA Diesel recommends an external pump as a replacement.

Come to find out, the Facet is only rated for 2 feet of head. I need about 5 feet. I manually primed the racor to see if it would help, it did not.

I could put the Facet at the top of the tank which would be about 2 feet of head; but it would be before any filters. I'm concerned about that. Should I be? The pump is 'pass through' so it only needs to be switched on when I'm priming the filters. 3/8" fuel lines, perkins 4.154.

The Facet that would have plenty of head is $200+ vs the $35 for this one. That's a lot just to prime the system when changing filters.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
A hand squeeze pump for outboard works very well as a primer. Around $10.

If you want electric to replace the diesel pump, you can get one from United Auto Parts for $30. They are used for diesel pickup trucks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Facet mechanical pumps come with a small filter in the bottom. You want to avoid clogging these filters, so the Racor should always come first. These pumps don't care which position they're put in, but the filters do. There are a multiple number of Facet pumps and you should be able to find one with enough head for your use.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I don't want to risk a clog with the Facet inline filter so yes, I want to put the pump after the Racor. That requires more suction.

The facet pump that they recommend is over $200.

Anybody have a recommendation for a 12 volt fuel pump with 6 feet of head capability?

The United auto pump is likely the same one I have, not enough pull to bring the fuel up 5'+.

the outboard motor squeeze bulb is rated for OUTSIDE use only.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I would check out something like a Walbro pump that is made for diesel. You may need to find out which one would be most appropriate for your application.

Personally I would replace the manual pump. If you lose your electrical system you engine will still run with a manual pump. When you have an electrical pump you have additional issues that can go wrong (wiring, fuses etc).

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
the electric pump is only for priming the system after filter changes. The engine runs fine without the extra pump. The perkins hand lift pump is frozen and TAD says they are no longer available, that they have always been trouble and an external pump is preferred.

Dec 2, 1999
Are you sure that the pump is only used for priming? Our Yanmar needs a fuel pump for the engine to run.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
The fuel pump on the engine works fine. This is a manual lift pump that is for priming the system. Two different pumps.
The lift pump works two ways. One way is as a mechanical pump powered by the engine. The other way is by hand when the engine is OFF for priming the filter or the injectors.

As I've stated repeatedly, this is for priming the filter.

Dec 2, 1999
Well the Walbro pumps should work well for this application. The bulb pump should also work for this purpose. Many Yanmar owners have used these for years.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
I bit the bullet & ordered a Walbro FRA-2.
Their tech support said it would easily handle 5'+ head even though the chart says 48" of head. They also confirmed that the pump will be flow through so I don't need to leave it running while the engine is running. I can use it to prime the system and as a back up fuel lift pump. I'll be installing it after the primary Racor and before the secondary on-engine filter.

The list price is $205.
Found it for $154 & $135 online.

Also found it for $108...at SBO!!!

Way to go SBO. Now get my order shipped out!!! Launch awaits!!

Thanks all.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Here is how I did this

I added an electric pump with some of the same concerns you have. I origionally installed mine looking for a leak, which was allowing the engine mounted lift pump to suck a little air. I mounted it at the tank, and put in a by-pass system. Pretty simple, just a couple of T's and two shut offs. No problems and works like a champ.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
WOW!

I ordered the pump on 3/22. It arrived today, 3/24! That includes packing it up and getting it out on the 22nd from the Seattle area and arriving in Michigan today.

Nice work SBO & USPS.

Now I have to get it installed. Last winter project. Just need to unwrap the boat & wax the hull. I think the lows in the teens will slow that wax project down a little.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Installed the Walbro FRA-2 on Friday. It drew the fuel up the 6' of head with no problem, took a few minutes to pull the fuel up. I'm now primed and ready. Launch in 2 weeks. Still have ice in the harbor and high's will only be in the 30's this week.

Thanks SBO!

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i bought an assist pump at pep boys for 47.50. i have 5-6 ft of line before it hits my lift pump--works great. mine stays active thru running the engine . it can be placed so as to be removable but i have mine plumbed in permanently. my engine is perkins 4-108.

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
5 - 6 feet of line...is that vertical or horizontal?

The "lift" or "head" is the vertical distance the pump can suck upwards. Much harder than a horizontal pull. Most typical automotive fuel pumps have 2 feet of head capability. My setup has the tank in the keel so I have at least 5 feet of head to where I mounted the pump. Draws the fuel up and thru the Racor OK.

Mar 23, 2011
Down East Yachts Downeaster 38 040 Milford, CT
i bought an assist pump at pep boys for 47.50. i have 5-6 ft of line before it hits my lift pump--works great. mine stays active thru running the engine . it can be placed so as to be removable but i have mine plumbed in permanently. my engine is perkins 4-108.
Hey Zeehag,

Can you say why you installed this pump. Were you having problems?

I have a Downeaster 38 with a Perkins 4.108. I have a problem where I have air getting into the line if the engine sits, not running, for more than a couple of hours. After the engine is running for the first 20 minutes or so, it will rev (running lean) then quit if I don't get to the bulb primer (inline) fast enough. If I pump the bulb while the engine is revving, the engine will keep running and no more problems. If the engine dies,I simply have to bleed the system and start it up again. After that, it will run with no more problems.

There are no obvious places where fuel is leaking anywhere along the fuel line, and I have gone through and tightened all the hose clamps in the system, a couple of times.

I have been thinking about placing an in-line electric fuel pump, to see if that might fix the problem.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i placed an external fuel pump on my 4-108--cost me 47.80...i have a slight leak in my lift pump---- this 4-7 psi assist pump is awesome...works great and no problems. found it at pep boys..LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.