Extending Table Leafs

Oct 15, 2023
Hunter 49 Gosport
Just bought a hunter 49 and wondered if anyone could help explain how to extend the table. Mine has 4 clips that seem easy to undo but then there are 4 x brown clips that I have no idea how to undo - looks like you need some kind of key to push in one side. Any ideas/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I will post some pics later if no one has a clue what I'm talking about :)

Thanks
Michael

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you can, get a few shots from a distance showing where these clips are located. A video showing the leaf's movement would be the ultimate.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Just bought a hunter 49 and wondered if anyone could help explain how to extend the table. Mine has 4 clips that seem easy to undo but then there are 4 x brown clips that I have no idea how to undo - looks like you need some kind of key to push in one side. Any ideas/knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Michael
Hi
I know this sounds too simple, but you just pull the table top apart.
The brown clips are just for alignment
If the leaf hasn’t been removed for a long time, you might need to tug a bit, but the table will just open. That’s all there is to it.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Hi
I know this sounds too simple, but you just pull the table top apart.
The brown clips are just for alignment
If the leaf hasn’t been removed for a long time, you might need to tug a bit, but the table will just open. That’s all there is to it.
There are some other things you want to know about this table , btw.

To use it as a bed, you need to replace the long posts with short posts. Hopefully, you received these with the boat. You cannot use the table as a bed without these.

Next,,
Removing the table from the posts isn’t easy. It’s quite heavy, and is a 2 person job.
When you lift it up, you have to lift dead straight, or the posts bind up with the housings under the table. There is a tendency for the posts to lift up with the table, instead of remaining in the floor sockets. Then, they will fall out, and make dents in the floor
2 tricks…

You want to put a light layer of silicone grease around the tops of the posts where they go into the table sockets. This will make it much easier to remove the table

Next..,
I drilled & tapped 1/4-20 threads into the floor sockets, and have grub screws that hold the posts in place so that when I remove the table, the posts stay on the floor, and don’t detach with the table

Lastly, you will need to check if the table sockets actually line up with the floor sockets when the table is in its lowered position. Mine had to be moved, as Hunter installed them wrong. If you need more guidance, PM me.

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
One more hint beyond Arts ... I didn't get the shorter posts with mine. So I made some out of 4 inch pvc. I made 4 that I place under the table between the bottom of the table and the floor. I didn't like the idea of just replacing the longer posts with 2 shorter ones that fit in the fittings. It didn't seem like enough support to me. I store the 4 short pvc pieces behind the dinettes back cushion next to the chain plate.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
One more hint beyond Arts ... I didn't get the shorter posts with mine. So I made some out of 4 inch pvc. I made 4 that I place under the table between the bottom of the table and the floor. I didn't like the idea of just replacing the longer posts with 2 shorter ones that fit in the fittings. It didn't seem like enough support to me. I store the 4 short pvc pieces behind the dinettes back cushion next to the chain plate.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
There is wood molding that supports the table on 3 sides when it’s at the bed level
What the posts do is keep the table located on these ledges so that it can’t shift. They also do give additional support, as the table is in sections, and I wouldn’t rely on the extension mechanism with 2 adults sleeping on it, or small kids jumping on it (more likely)

If you try to use the table without the posts, it will likely end badly. I figured this out very quickly, as I didn’t have the posts initially.
These are obviously custom fabricated, as they are tapered at both ends.