Experience with the Pelagic Autopilot

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I have an old Raymaine ST8002 autopilot. It's still functioning but it's starting to have some glitches that I don't like. I have been looking at upgrading the system and have run across the Pelagic Autopilot. I've never used one nor have I been on a boat with one installed. it claims that it will nicely interface with my current below decks drive which is a big plus as that system is really solid. I'd really only need to replace the flux gate compass, course computer and control head. The drive unit is rock solid. The new Raymarine units don't get me very excited to spend that kind of money on.

I'm looking for anyone with experience with this system and how they like it. Any other input, like if someone has done a retrofit installation of a Raymarine unit with this system would be most welcome. Any other experiences with the Pelagic autopilot would be most welcome. One thing I was curious about is that the Pelagic only has the ability to adjust to 2 degrees as the smallest adjustment. While this for the most part I am not overly concerned about, my current Raymarine does have 1 degree adjustment capacity. The only time I've felt that was advantageous was running up the ICW. One thing I can do with my current unit is hit a button and actually run the autopilot as a drive unit. Meaning I an spin the knob and steer the boat. They don't seem to make this option anymore.

I'd also be interested in knowing if there is anyone that rebuilds these old Raymarine units as that could also be an option.

dj

dj