Experience with Simrad WP10 on O'Day 35 or 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dave Mauney

I wondered if anyone has had experence with a Simrad Wheel Pilot 10 on an O'day 34 or 35. Specifically I am wondering if the WP10 is enough to handle it or was a WP20 necessary. I am looking at this for single handing. Good Winds Dave s/v DAMWEGAS

J

J.B. Dyer

No Simrad!

Dave, it looks like there is no one out there that knows squat about Simrad's. So that you won't think that your being ignored, I'll talk to you a little about the AutoHelm which I have on my 34. I have an AutoHelm 2000 that generates 170lbs of thrust. Now, this thing is rated at 10,000 gross weight and I gross 12000, but the next one up, the 4000 only generates 185 pounds and costs 250.00 more. I didn't feel like paying 250. for 15 more pounds. At any rate, 80% of my sailing is in the Pickwick/Tombigbee waterway area so I'm not subjected to open seas which may be a factor for you. I'll never have a boat without this feature as it does free you up to move around when you are by yourself. Just about any of them can be overpowered in severe weather, but if the weather is that bad, I keep my hands on the wheel anyway, works great in 10-15kt winds. I made a 200 mile inland waterway move a couple of years ago by myself and this thing wasn't anything but handy. They can be remotely operated and they allow you to move about freely. Keeps you from getting blisters on your back side sitting behind the wheel. Hope this helps.

M

Michael Sivret

WP30

Dave I have a Oday34 and I installed a Simrad WP30 last winter. Works great and unlike the Raythion it is non intrusive. Completely self contained. Plus it was rated for more weight than the 4000SP. If you have any questions email me Msivret@aol.com

H

Howie

wp30 also

I have the WP30 on our 37 and it works fine. With small children aboard I didnt want any of the exposed belt types. you know if OSHA ever see's one of those they'll have to put a guard on them! Only thing I have to complain about is the cheap clamps that came with the unit where it mounts to the pedestal. After replacing them the unit handles our boat just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.