Exit Blocks

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
I recently replaced the exit blocks on my Capri 22 ( # 427). Take a look at the ones I replaced. Interesting that the "axle" is positioned differently in each one.

The newer aluminum ones were more like the one with the axle placed to the outside.

Now I am wondering about the blocks I replaced on # 297 a few years ago. I ended up putting spacers on them so the lines would not interfere with each other. ( left to right or port to starboard)

Hersh

PS: While I have your attention. Water leaks into the rear bilge of my boat someplace by the transom when it rains.
It actually looks like weeping by where the transom meets the hull. But the amount can be significant after a heavy rain --- 2-3 quarts. Anybody have this problem -- and have a solution ?

Thanks again

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Hersh... check the scuppers! They look deceivingly good, when they are full of holes. It's a VERY common problem in the 80s model Catalinas.

Can't tell what you are getting at about the exit blocks.. The Alum blocks though are way better than the duralin.

May 23, 2007
Catalina Capri 22 Albany, Oregon
Re the water - check your rails. One of the bolts for mine is right at the hull/transom joint and it would look like the transom was leaking if it was. Alternative, check the joint at the bottom of the cockpit, make sure there's not a crack back there. I had one in my laser footwell and you wouldn't believe how much water it passed through!

HERSH

Nov 21, 2012
Catalina Capri 22 http://www.chelseayacht.org
Schnool;

Take a closer look a the exit blocks in question. Specifically the one on the right. Notice the "extra" hole.
Depending on where they put the axle for the sheave will affect how far "out" the sheave extends.

I replaced these with the aluminum versions and both sheaves/axles were placed like the assembly on the left.

What I am saying is that on my former boat # 297 I also replaced the assembly, but ended up having to put spacers on the assembly so the sheaves would not interfere with each other. ( Left-right; port-starboard.)

Hersh

Attachments

shnool

Aug 10, 2012
WD Schock Wavelength 24 Wallenpaupack
Well I get that they don't stick out as far... but as far as interference... I didn't experience any of it...
but then I never looked at the side of them either.