Exhaust Riser Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Exhaust Riser Help - Revised

Original panicked post.
Help??!!:confused:

My exhaust riser blew up this weekend and the new part I order from Hansen Marine doesn't match.

The riser slip where the fitting was attached for the effluent from the heat exchanger. I order a new one from my local westerbeke dealer but the piece they sent looks nothing like that I removed. I have attached a couple of photos.

This piece might fit in the space available but it would not have the riser loop that was originally installed. Should I try to use this piece?

I checked the Catalina direct site and for the 310 it says you have to send the old part to them to get the replacement one. This look like it will take a long time and I can't leave the dock without it.

Please let me know what advice you have.
OK, so new post with some more thought.

1. I don't think I can use the piece I received. The injection point looks too low and there is a potential for the back flow of the injected water into the engine and the back flow of water from the exhaust/muffler.
  2. It appears that the existing part is made of aluminum. The failure point was where the smaller pipe was welded into the larger.
  3. To get the replacement part from Catalina Direct I have to send them mine so they can see it to fabricate a replacement. That is a lot of travel across the country to get this part made.
So here is what I am thinking. Please tell me if my thoughts are wrong or stupid and what I should do.

1. My cousin owns a machine shop. I plan to bring the broken riser to his shop and see if he can have a replacement fabricated. I am thinking stainless steel, schedule 80.
  2. If my cousin says it will take a long time to put this together or if he can't and I need to send it to Catalina, I was thinking of making a temporary one. I would do this with some galvanized steel to match the broken pipe as best as possible. This would not be a permanent thing but just to last while the other one it made.
So, please let me know what you think of how I intend to address this part and if you have any suggestions on how to fix this exhaust riser.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
I repaired the exhaust riser on a friends westerbeke with marine tex so he could use the motor while ordering a replacement. The replacement is on board, but yet to be installed after several years because the repair is fine. Do you have a picture of the old part? When you say it exploded, is there a hole worn through or something worse? Several thin coats of marine tex can bridge a good size hole for a temporary fix.

http://www.marinetex.com/marinetexepoxyputty.html

Status
Not open for further replies.