EVA Foam teak and holly flooring use.

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
So to start out this topic several years ago I bought 5 rolls of EVA foam teak and holly decking plus one roll of solid EVA foam that was to be used for the edging on my Sea Ray 260 Sundeck. Never used it and bought pre-made decking already trimmed to match the flooring for the Sea Ray.
I started using the EVA decking on the Hunter. I laid it on the aft cabin so that it hides the uneven fiberglass/gelcoat which I think Hunter could have done a nicer finish. Anyway it looks awesome and the reupholstered cushions now have a breathable lower surface to avoid moistures and mold/smells.
I now plan to use it on the v-berth to again avoid moisture/mold, etc. The boat is extremely dry and I’ve sealed her from any leaks so anything in the bilge is from the ice bin or condensation during the summer days but very little.
I already have new teak and holly floors done several years ago and was thinking about using the EVA foam over the cabin floor but the EVA foam has a super sticky adhesive which once stuck is very hard to remove and one must use all sorts of acetone/adhesive removers and that would ruin the teak and holly flooring, so no go.
Another use would be the cockpit floor which would hide some superficial spider cracks which always seem to show up, Now looking for more uses to use up the remaining four and one half rolls I still have.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Another use would be the cockpit floor which would hide some superficial spider cracks which always seem to show up, Now looking for more uses to use up the remaining four and one half rolls I still have.
SBO Classifieds
Facebook Market Place
eBay

Do you have a few photos and dimensions of the remaining material?

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
Do you have a few photos and dimensions of the remaining material?
Actually I bought it all on EBay but not looking to sell it but more to use it and keep some as spares for the future damage or replacement as the color will never be a correct match. Don’t want to use it on the deck as others have done since it won’t hold up for long, will peel, etc. I really wanted to use it in the cabin to keep the teak and holly sole from getting damage but the EVA adhesive cannot be applied for the earlier stated reasons. I can take a photo of what I did in the aft cabin and post it here.

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
Here is a closeup of the aft cabin with one of the cushions out. Also the Sea Ray with the machine cut EVA foam teak and holly with finished edges. I could never reproduce those edges as they are CNC cut.

IMG_6641.jpeg
IMG_6642.jpeg
IMG_6636.jpeg

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Regarding the base for your V berths, I am thinking the EVA foam would provide an insulated base. The moisture from two hot bodies on the foam may trap moisture in the foam. There are two products I have seen that raise the cushion off the base leaving a 1” air gap between cushion and base. This air gap solved the moisture issue for me.
I used a product called HyperVent. Genuine Hypervent Fights Condensation

1705445217898.jpeg

Mar 7, 2023
Hunter 28.5 Savannah
Regarding the base for your V berths….
I used a product called HyperVent. Genuine Hypervent Fights Condensation

View attachment 222558
Originally when I acquired this boat the product underneath the cushions was this or similar mesh looking fabric which was mildewed, black, and smelly along with underneath the cushions. Tossed it all and started from scratch with new fabric upholstery and then later the Ultraleather which prevents any moisture to penetrate into the foam, plus Ultraleather is known as the best material to prevent sweating which is why the aircraft companies use it for pilot seats and now yacht manufactures are exclusively using it in their cabins. We don’t sleep anymore on the sailboat since we do day sails and only the grandchildren use the v-berth and aft cabin to play.