Erie canal sailing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joe Baker

Is it possible to motor a 4'3" draft, 52' mast sailboat up the Hudson and over to Lake Erie in the canal? We are considering a purchase by Annapolis, MD and would have some time and inclination to bring it to Duluth, MN. Is there significant cost for locks or anything?? Any comments or experiences are welcome. We may be just crazy from the Minnesota winter!!!!!!

J

Jim

Erie Canal

Have transited the Hudson river and Champlain Canal many times. Never the Erie Canal, but the NYS Barge Canal system should be fine for your draft. You will need to unstep your mast at Catskill, NY (very experienced yard) and restep after entering Great Lakes. Have met lots of Canadian Cruisers in the Bahamas who have done this route. Several 6+ drafts. Should be an easy trip for you and quite scenic. There is a fee for the Barge Canal System, but not expencive. Check with NYS for fees, but several years ago, one could purchase a two or three week pass quite reasonably. Enjoy! PS: Use to live in Troy, NY at the first lock and lots of cruisers do this every year.

B

Barry

Can be a Fun Trip

Before reaching the Troy/Albany area and the first Lock you need to pass, you can pull your mast at Caselton on the Hudson. They have a nice working manual crane that you can operate yourself for a fee of about $30. Frequently sailors stay around and help each other with rigging tasks. You can save some money here if you are familiar with removing the masts. If you're not into trying this yourself, Catskill Creek is the place to pay to have it done. (I agree with Jim) Pick up a Hudson River cruising guide. It's a nice ride especially if your not tied to a schedule. They sell passes to the canal system. I recall them being $25-50 for a three day pass in the Champlain canal which has 12 locks. Your trip is longer and includes more locks. Barry

K

Ken Palmer

Erie Canal Web Site

Click http://www.syracuse.com/features/eriecanal/ for a look at the Erie Canal. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty http://www.LakeOntarioSailing.com

K

Kenneth Pfaff

E-mail address

The New York Canal web site is http://www.canals.state.ny.us/

P

Peter Clancy

Controlling height?

What is the controlling height for boats (sail or power) transiting the Erie Canal?

K

Ken Palmer

Many low bridges

Last year I went on a dinner-party boat on the canal out of Fairport, NY. It had a top deck that was uncovered, over the main deck. The pilot sat on the top deck as well as dinner tables. We had to duck out heads to pass under several bridges. Pretty scary when approaching a bridge at 5 knots or so. Ken Palmer, S/V Liberty

D

Doug Merrill

Canal Clearance

The controlling height on the Erie Canal is either 20 or 21 ft.

D

Derek Rowell

Erie Canal - How long should it take?

I just stumbled across this thread. As it happens I am driving to Buffalo tomorrow to look at a boat, and I have been considering the possibility of bringing it back via the Erie Canal/Hudson/Long Island Sound to RI. Given the 59 locks on the canal, how long should it take from Buffalo to Albany? I'm not sure how long it typically takes to transit each lock. Is night travel allowed/advisable? Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.