Ericson 32-2 vs Newport 30

Nov 4, 2023
looking to buy SF bay
Hello all,
I’m having trouble deciding on my first boat, which will also be a liveaboard. I am currently invested in two options, a 1975 ericson 32-2 extremely well maintained for 17yrs with major upgrades, and a well maintained 1976 Newport 30 with not as many upgrades however it has a yanmar.

Both are very clean boats, however the whole diesel vs atomic 4 is killing new.

it seems like the atomic 4 has gotten more support (parts and manuals readily available) these last few years. It also seems like most of the diesel engines from the mid 70s are on their last leg, and there’s not much support online for those old diesels. I’m very mechanically inclined and am not scared of working on engines. That being said I’m still worrisome about the atomic 4. Gas go boom. I could always install an electric starter?

Another thing. Ericson would probably be harder to sell due to the atomic 4.

I’m not trying to jump the gun on a boat soo any advice would be greatly appreciated. Does it all come down to whatever’s in the best condition?

thanks so much

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
The Ericson is in a much higher category of basic construction than the Newport. After all these years, condition is also very important, but the basics of design and initial build are more important, IMHO. Those A4 engines are very reliable and current service and parts info is available from moyermarine .
Our '88 boat came with a factory diesel and we do like the better fuel economy, but my friends with the A4 really swear by Moyer. Side note: the A4 engine is much (!) quieter than a diesel.

If it surveys out well, I would not consider that engine a deal breaker. As you surmise, very old diesels can have real issues with parts availability, like the great Yanmar YSM series or several others that are of production.
If the A4 ever dies, Betamarine produces a wonderful drop in diesel engine option, worth noting.The Ericson 32-2 has a strong following with advice for anything a new owner might want. Establish a free log-in at the large owners' site, EricsonYachts.org: The Starting Point on Ericson Yachts! .
Happy shopping and Fair Winds...... :cool:

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello’s and welcome to SBO.
I suggest you are focused on the wrong systems.
You state that this boat is going to be a live aboard. I would prioritize the systems that make this a better home. Structure that would be difficult to change should be your focus. Which is easier to see your self living in 16 months from now? The best cooking space, storage space for your needs, potty and plumbing systems. How are the sinks, and the bed set up. Will you need heat, AC, have adequate refrigeration. What about sails. Are they not the primary system to power a sail boat? Which of the boats of thought want to call home.

In reality the engine just gets you in and out of port unless you are planning extensive cruising.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Make sure there is a good blower associated with the A4 engine. Ventilation will be your friend in this case - I'm sure you know. John's right about livability being the more important factor. You might consider that engine replacement may be in your future in either case - probably an equal chance. So, I would consider the engine factor as a wash ... you may be just as likely to make your own engine choice eventually. Maybe even electric motor re-power ...

Nov 4, 2023
looking to buy SF bay
Thank you all for the great responses. I looked at both boats today and I have decided to wait a while longer until I find a boat that I really envision myself living in. Now leaning towards Catalina 30s. They're popular for a reason!
Cheers

Last edited:

Jan11

Apr 9, 2012
Ericson 35 Albany
To amplify what FastOlson said Ericson sailboats are far superior to to any Newport sailboat in design, construction, and sailing ability. They were designed by Bruce King a world famous designer.

As an aside, a lawyer friend of mine represented a client who sued Newport over the faulty construction of his new boat and won. As I remember, one point of contention was that they had minimal quality control at the factory.

My son had an E-32 and it was a sweet sailing boat. For sailing ability it is also much better than a Catalina, IMHO. I've sailed them both. [That should produce a few comments.]

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
My son had an E-32 and it was a sweet sailing boat. For sailing ability it is also much better than a Catalina, IMHO. I've sailed them both. [That should produce a few comments.]
Not sure what comments you are expecting other than I agree with you.

dj

Oct 26, 2008
According to New England PHRF, Ericson 32-2 is 174 and 32-3 is 156

Catalina 320 is 153 for standard keel and 162 for wing keel.

Ericson LWL is 24' & 25.8' for 32-2 & 32-3 respectively. Catalina 32 LWL, is 28' so designed hull speed is significantly greater.

Ericson 32-2 is more of a slug with better comfort rating and capsize screening than Catalina. Sailing ability ... how defined? One company is still in business, the other not so much ...

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Ericson 32-2 is more of a slug
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. The owners that I know that race and cruise the E32-2, for many decades would disagree with you strongly.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion. The owners that I know that race and cruise the E32-2, for many decades would disagree with you strongly.
On the other hand, a PHRF of 174 isn't exactly stellar.

Oct 26, 2008
Point taken ... I agree that there is no reason to be denigrating and your comments about the boat are valuable. However, realizing that all boats are a compromise, I was noting that a favorable comfort rating and capsize screening appears to correspond with a greater handicap. That would seem to make sense. Hence my question about how to define "sailing ability" as posited by @Jan11 , who was inviting comments. I was also pointing out the fallacy of the statement that sailing ability is "much better" than a Catalina. The statement isn't adequately supported.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Thank you all for the great responses. I looked at both boats today and I have decided to wait a while longer until I find a boat that I really envision myself living in. Now leaning towards Catalina 30s. They're popular for a reason!
Cheers
Catalina 30s are popular because they're a lot of them. Frank Butler knew his market and built Catalinas for specific markets and built them efficiently. He was able to offer boats at competitive price points. He also knew creature comforts would help sell the boats. Catalina 30s were built for comfort, not speed.

In the 80s Catalina tried branching out into the performance market with the Capri line. The first couple of boats were the Capri 25 and Capri 22, both boats bore a striking resemblance to the J24 and J22 respectively. Catalina's reputation as family friendly boat did not help its attempt to enter the performance oriented boat market.

Later Catalinas, the 3 digit models (309, 310, etc) were later designs that offered improved performance while maintaining comfortable accomodations.

When making global performance comparisons between boats, it is important to compare boats of the same vintage and era. Until the late 80s boats from Ericson, C&C, Sabre, Pearson, among others were heavily influence by IOR racing rules. Catalinas were not. By the early 90s designers were figuring out how to build fast comfortable boats that would appeal to the sailing family that wanted to cruise on weekends and race on Wednesday night, the Racer/Cruiser was born.

Is an Ericson or Newport a faster more responsive boat than a Catalina 30, most probably. Are they as fast or responsive as a later model Catalina 320? Maybe not as much. If you are looking for a fast well appointed older boat, take a look at a J30, it was J Boats attempt to enter the Racer/Cruiser market.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
sslailem has some pertinent questions that you should be thinking about for liveaboard cruising. And the question was about comparing two different boats and then everyone started talking about Catalinas. They aren't one of the two boats he is considering. And, of course, any boat with an Atomic 4 has a blower. If you read up on the Ericson 32-2 reviews say that the fuel and water tankage is small for extended cruising. Someone also wrote that if it is an old diesel, might as well consider it on its last leg. Diesels are designed to run a very long time and if cared for, they will. One needs to have an idea of how many hours are on it and I don't think the person making that statement has a clue to that. Regarding performance, the Newport is not a bad sailing boat. Only a few Ericsons have reputations of being nimble fast sailboats. But, is it speed you are after? Consider build quality for serious offshore cruising if that is what you are after, fuel capacity if you might need to motor long distances, water capacity and places to store stuff. Berth size, headroom and number of berths needed are to be considered. And Then some one pushes the Catalina line up, which is a good boat for inland and coastal cruising, but questionable for serious offshore cruising. He mentions the Capri 22 and 25. Well, J/Boats created the J/22 and Butler tried to compete with that boat when he designed the Capri 22, but it didn't go as well as the J design in terms of popularity or number sold. Same with the J/24, which is the first boat they built and hence the Capri 25 and the Merit 25 tried to be competition for the J/24, which, at one time, was the biggest in terms of sales and keel boat production boat ever (except for maybe the Star boat). But neither of these boats are about what the original question that was posed. And then the J/30 was mentioned. While a decent sailing boat, i wouldn't consider it for serious liveaboard use. And with regard to newer Catalinas compared to older designs, with the introduction of winged keels, boats like the first Catalina 30s were actually faster and pointed higher.

Oct 26, 2008
sslailem has some pertinent questions that you should be thinking about for liveaboard cruising. And the question was about comparing two different boats and then everyone started talking about Catalinas. They aren't one of the two boats he is considering.
Actually, @SweetSweetVictory started out comparing the (1975) Ericson 32-2 (with A4) to a (1976) Newport 30 (with a diesel). It sounded like he liked the Ericson more but was concerned about the gas engine. In a later post, he nixed both models and said he was leaning towards a Catalina 30. That's how Catalina's came into the picture. I don't know the Ericson 32-2 so my comments are completely based on the numbers. Being a 1975 model, I'd guess there is virtually no aft cabin and significantly less space than a Catalina 30. My uncle had a (1968) Newport 30 and I loved that boat, but that was a long time ago. I last sailed with my Uncle probably around the middle 80's. I have sailed on and competed against a Catalina 30 and I think there is probably no better 30' production boat ever made. My basis of comparison is very limited, for sure, but there is a very good reason why Catalina thrived by selling that boat. They sail like a dream and they are a very comfy boat, so I do take issue that a 1970's Ericson could be described as more favorable than a Catalina 30. But like it is said about opinions, just like ...... , everybody has one! ;)

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
But like it is said about opinions, just like ...... , everybody has one! ;)
Catalina has a long record of making very nice boats. I'm rather enamered with the Catalina 36 MK II.

The original is also nice but has less livable space and the capsize and comfort numberber are not as good as the MK II version