ericson 30+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 28, 2011
S2 8.6 White Lake
Would appreciate info/opinions on the ericson 30+. This one's a 1980, shoal draft and I believe a tall rig,too. Seems to be an unusual design; thinking of purchasing.

Thanks

Sep 16, 2010
Still looking 26 to 30ish In my mind, for now
GrampaArt said:
Would appreciate info/opinions on the ericson 30+. This one's a 1980, shoal draft and I believe a tall rig,too. Seems to be an unusual design; thinking of purchasing.

Thanks
I looked at purchasing one last year and had it surveyed. Sailors at Ericson owners website all heartily endorsed the 30+. Not sure about shoal draft though. Depends on where you will sail.

I generally like Ericsons. High quality and better value than some better known builders still in business.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
The older Ericson were tender. The + series even a little more so. My friend had an E29. When the wind picked up it would heal quickly, but got over about 15-20 deg and stay there.

Good quality for a production boat.

Sep 16, 2010
Still looking 26 to 30ish In my mind, for now
Thinking about this more, it seems odd -- and maybe dangerous?? -- to have tall rig on shoal draft. Go to Ericson owners forum and post a question there. They are a helpful bunch.

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
I had an Ericson 32. I especially liked the molded in

keel as opposed to the bolt on keels of other competing brands. Ericsons have a peculiarity of tending to fish-tail when sailing down wind, more so than other brands so I had to get used to paying more attention to the helm than before when on a broad reach or running but I got used to that. Otherwise. it handled suberbly and was very fast.
The quality of construction was better than similiar models of other makes. There is some compromise in interior space as opposed to other makes as the hull is sleek and fast. In my case, there was enough for my needs so I readily accepted the tradeoff but it might be a consideration for others.
All in all I am well pleased with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.