Enhance or replace the O/B motor lift?

May 16, 2021
Oday 25 Lake George
This motor mount seems to be original to my 1975 Oday 25. The spring is not strong enough to lift the motor, and I want to either change the mount or add some additional spring power. Has anyone done something similar? I see references to adding a piston, but not sure it will work with this configuration. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You can try to increase lift by sliding a piece of 1/2" thick wood under the spring ends that are now resting on the stbd side bracket attached to the transom. I don't know if that would be enough, but it would help.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
One of my better ideas was installing this on my lift. just replace the latch bar on yours with one fabricated from aluminum bar stock (Home Depo has it) , with a straight slot instead of the notches, and attach the blocks to the top of it. a clam cleat on the top of transom quickly locks it in any position you want and you won't have to hang over the transom to wrestle with the motor lift anymore.
IMG_0546.jpeg

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I'm curious about your modification to the notch less part. I'm in no hurry to modify my mount so no rush. I'm totally jealous that yo uhave a boat shed at home!

• Ha

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I'm curious about your modification to the notch less part. I'm in no hurry to modify my mount so no rush. I'm totally jealous that yo uhave a boat shed at home!
The notchless part is just a flat strap with a hole in the top, and a slot along it's length, positioned to stop at the maximum up and down travel limits desired.
IMG_0552.jpegIMG_0555.jpeg

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Wow that was fast! Does it lock in the down position or does it rely on weight?
Just the weight of my 4hp Johnson seems adequate. there has been one or two times, when in reverse panic mode near a windy dock, that it wants to rise up but it's really not been enough of an issue to concern me. ;)