Engines for an L25

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdm005

Mar 17, 2010
1975 Lancer 25 sloop Silver Bay NJ
Can anyone tell me what the min/max is for an outboard on the L25 is and does it need to be a long shaft.

Jul 19, 2009
Lancer 25 MK 4? still searching this Trailer sailer,,, Louisville
I went with the extra long shaft and 9.9 HP... I got my information off of the bracket that holds the outboard. I will be reinforcing this due to modern 4 strokes are heavier than old 1970's 2-stroke engines, I personally would not go over 9.9 HP either way though... jmho...... just wanted to add mine is a 1977 model L25

kdm005

Mar 17, 2010
1975 Lancer 25 sloop Silver Bay NJ
Thanks for the help, I'm going to do the same, on the boat I have a transom mount, that will need to be repaired so I plan on re-enforcing as well

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I was going to post that I have a Yamaha 9.9 four stroke for my L27PS so I doubt you need anything bigger than that. It gets me to hull speed very nicely and at about half throttle. It too is a long shaft. Good luck.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Min / Max

I had both a 9.9 long shaft (Johnson), which was stolen, and an 8 hp long shaft outboard on my old L25. The 8hp Evinrude was fine for routine use, but the 9.9hp was noticeably more powerful and would be an advantage if motoring against a current. The extra long sailboat shaft length is a definite requirement if you are on the ocean, as even two foot chop will have the outboard out of the water at times. I wouldn't recommend less than 8 hp. From what I have seen the addition of the ability to charge off the outboard pretty much starts at 8hp too.

The biggest plus to the 8hp was that it was MUCH easier to haul around than the 9.9hp, which is essentially a detuned 15hp (different carb). It doesn't sound like much but when your boat is on the hard and you are lifting 80 lbs vs 100lbs over your head to place it on the transom mount it makes a difference. A 4 cycle may be even heavier.

Also, a transom mount is the furthest aft point on the boat. The L25 is a light enough boat that she will be sensitive to weight aft. Not that sensitive, but more weight aft may affect trim. Watch for where your cockpit drains are and stow some weight forward if they are close to under water at rest or with your normal load of crew. The drains can get very close to the water otherwise. Be sure that the drain hoses are crossed too (port scupper to starboard thru hull and vice versa).

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
We have a Lancer 25 with an 8 HP Evinrude. It does just fine getting us around, even coming home against a 3-4 knot river. The issue of weight bcomes apparent then. Water WILL flow into the cockpit through the drains. It was a little alarming the first time it happened. Since then, we expect it. So . . . expect it. Most of all, enjoy that Lancer.

We sail Saco Bay and Casco Bay. I don't know if you trailer her, but we do. We're getting pretty good at set up. We can step the mast in about 10 minutes and be underway in less than an hour. I've made some modifications to out stepping gear this year and hope to cut the time in half.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Good evening all. I know that Novelman puts a couple of rubber plugs into his drains. His 1975 L25 drains into the lazarett while my 1979 L25 drains athwartships to port and starboard. As previously mentioned it was a little concerning when on the test sail water entered into cockpit.

Just a though on hoisting an 80-100 pound engine into place. Could a block and tackle help? Steve

Jan 22, 2008
Macgregor 22 Marina Del Rey, CA CA
I have a 2007, 8hp, long shaft Nissan, 4 stroke on my 1075 L-25 and have good power for every occasion. It will push my boat to hull speed at 3/4 open and gets almost 10 NM when there are little or no seas. It will do even better when power sailing. As steve said, I plug the drains on my boat or water will enter through them but I am able to quickly remove the plugs when necessary.
novelman

Feb 1, 2007
-Lancer -28 The Sea Of Cortez
Tohatsu makes most of the small 4-stroke outboards..The 8hp motor is identical to the 9.9 except in price..Our 28 came with a 8hp Mercury (Tohatsu) extra long shaft and it does fine with the optional low-pitch prop..I was able to install Tohatsu remote controls on this engine after Mercury said it was impossible to do so.

Dec 17, 2007
Lancer- 25- Cherry Point, NC
Mast Stepping on L25

We have a Lancer 25 with an 8 HP Evinrude. It does just fine getting us around, even coming home against a 3-4 knot river. The issue of weight bcomes apparent then. Water WILL flow into the cockpit through the drains. It was a little alarming the first time it happened. Since then, we expect it. So . . . expect it. Most of all, enjoy that Lancer.

We sail Saco Bay and Casco Bay. I don't know if you trailer her, but we do. We're getting pretty good at set up. We can step the mast in about 10 minutes and be underway in less than an hour. I've made some modifications to out stepping gear this year and hope to cut the time in half.
DSCRIBNER,
Can you describe your mast for me on your Lancer? Based on the amount of shoddy amateur construction performed over the last 30 years on my L25, I would not be at all surprised if my mast is aftermarket. But that baby's huge. I've raised and lowered the mast a total of six times now, and each time it takes a minimum of three Marines and about 30 minutes. The Marine Corps is about to move me to the middle of the California desert so I will be trailering my boat more often and I would like to cut my time down. Is it procedure or do I have the wrong mast? Mine is oval shaped, regular aluminum (no white powdercoating like I've seen on some Lancers), with maybe .25" thick aluminum, maybe 4" by 6", and about 29 feet long. Thoughts?? Thanks!

-usna06marine (Nick)

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Probably original

DSCRIBNER,
Can you describe your mast for me on your Lancer? Based on the amount of shoddy amateur construction performed over the last 30 years on my L25, I would not be at all surprised if my mast is aftermarket. But that baby's huge. I've raised and lowered the mast a total of six times now, and each time it takes a minimum of three Marines and about 30 minutes. The Marine Corps is about to move me to the middle of the California desert so I will be trailering my boat more often and I would like to cut my time down. Is it procedure or do I have the wrong mast? Mine is oval shaped, regular aluminum (no white powdercoating like I've seen on some Lancers), with maybe .25" thick aluminum, maybe 4" by 6", and about 29 feet long. Thoughts?? Thanks!

-usna06marine (Nick)
The L25 indeed has a tall mast for its size compared to say an O'day 25, which has a short mast relative to its LOA. Most manufacturer's buy masts from only a few companies, given the specialized nature of the product. I had a Kenyon spar on my 82 L25 and have a Kenyon spar on my 9.2A. At least you have access to a bunch of Marines! I dropped and raised mine once on the water with the help of one friend and it was a bit of a chore, even with the A-frame I constructed to use as a lever. If I was going to suggest two things it would be to use some sort of a lever (Lancer's directions use the boom) and to get a better mast step. The OEM unit isn't very helpful as a pivot point and there are better options available on the aftermarket.

Nov 26, 2007
Lancer 25 SoCal
Nick, here's where I bought my tabernackle http://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?...are&familyID=27&familyName=Tabernacles+&+Pins

I called them to place my order and bought one that has holes on all three sides. The one they sent me could have the horizontal notch cut a little higher as when I step the mast the masts forward edge rubs the bottom of the tabernackle. I may also by the hinge and install that later this year.

I also rig a block and tackle when raising or lowering the mast. I can get more information for you later but now it's time to begin my 3500 mile trip. Hopefully I'll talk with you guys from my hotels...if not then in a week. Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.