Engine winterizing

JackK

Aug 27, 2013
Oday 272LE Red Bank
So this is my second season winterizing a Diesel engine (Westerbeke 10). Both seasons I hired the work out and both times the bill just lists a total due. No details provided.

My question is, What should I expect that a mechanic does to winterize a diesel, and am I paying $$$$$ for something so simple I should be doing it myself.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
antefreez

If you only have Diesel engine and no AC or Gen and than pull hose
from thru hull sea water strainer and put the hose into bucket of antefreez
and run engine until 2 gallons are gone into engine.
Don't forget tiolet same thing and fresh water system,antefreez into any place
water maybe laying and freez up.
Nick

Aug 21, 2006
Pearson 367 Alexandria, VA
Jack,

The link below shows my winterizing process and steps I have used for the last 12 years. It may give you a sense of what is involved in winterizing.

http://www.sailingseadragon.com/winterize.htm

The process takes 2-4 hours depending on how many times I stop to talk with others on the dock.

Disclaimer: my approach to winterizing the fresh water system may NOT be what others do nor what is commonly recommend but it works for me.

Garner

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
So this is my second season winterizing a Diesel engine (Westerbeke 10). Both seasons I hired the work out and both times the bill just lists a total due. No details provided.

My question is, What should I expect that a mechanic does to winterize a diesel, and am I paying $$$$$ for something so simple I should be doing it myself.
This is what I offer for my customers for just the engine. Everything gets itemized..

Standard Engine Winterizing:

Change Both Fuel Filters
Bleed Fuel System
Run Engine To Warm Oil
Change Oil & Filter
Clean Sea Strainer
Change HX Zinc (if applicable)
Check Engine For Leaks
Check All Hoses & Clamps
Check Motor Mounts
Change Transmission/Gear Fluid
Suck In AF Until It Matches Bottle Strength Out Exhaust (usually 4-5 gallons)
Drain Water Lift Muffler (if it can be)
Drain Engine Seacock
Loosen Alternator Belt
Inspect O-Ring On Fuel Fill & Replace If Needed
Check Throttle Advance and Shift Cable Adjustment
Check Engine Idle Speed

Optional:
Remove Impeller & Replace With New At Spring Commissioning
Check & Inspect HX
Coat Engine With Rust Inhibitor
Send Oil To Blackstone Labs For Evaluation
Probe Fuel Tank For Water, Remove Water If Found & Polish Remaining Fuel
Second Oil Drain & Fill To Ensure Very Clean Oil Sump

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I made a winterizing bucket and hose system and installed nylon T's in my feeder lines. This makes winterizing very simple. I hook my winterizing bucket into the T, fill with antifreeze, turn the device (engine, generator, HVAC pump, wash down pump, etc) on and antifreeze flows through the system until out the other end (exhaust, outlet, wash down hose, etc).

The hose from the bucket has a swivel fitting and is semi clear so I can see antifreeze flowing. I use a simple valve on the bottom of the bucke to control the flow out of the bucket.

Attachments

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
To me, there are a number of DIY tasks that owners should be able to do for themselves. Winterizing an inboard engine is one of them. It is a relatively simple task with lots of instructions available here or online. Maine Sail has also provided a pretty handy checklist above. You'll learn a lot about your engine by winterizing it yourself, to include changing oil filters, cleaning air filters, checking and replacing belts and impellers, etc. These are not difficult tasks to do on most boats an you'll gain a lot of confidence and satisfaction by doing them yourself. Plus, you'll save a wad...