Engine upgrade a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 19, 2012
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 Hamilton
I am thinking to replace my old 8hp merc (77 lbs.), with new 9.9hp merc (84lbs). Wondering if anyone has opinions on this. Hoping to improve under power speed, and of course ongoing reliability. I know that the boat was only rated for 8hp. Engine is mounted on sturdy stainless bracket, hanging off transom. Should I be concerned about extra torque, and additional 7 lbs?

Ray

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
I'm sure you already know the theories on hull speeds, ie: a 500hp Caterpillar will not make it plane. However, as your engine is losing the will to live, by all means go with the 9.9hp. These sizes are generally recommended by the boat manufacturer to get it to its rated speed, and if your motor bracket/transom is in good enough shape, again, go for it. I've never once ever heard anybody complain about having too much horsepower, and the seven pounds is less than a half case of cold drinks, (of your choice).

Jan 19, 2012
Vandestadt & McGruer Sirius 21 Hamilton
Thank you. This is exactly the type of external purchase justification I was hoping for. LOL ...PS theory smeory. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.