Engine trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BON Editorial

Has your engine failed to start? Were you able to overcome the problem yourself, were you forced to call for help, or did you sail away without it? What was the trouble, and (if you did) how did you fix it? Get your story started here, then vote in Quick Quiz at the bottom of the home page.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Yes, Several Times

The first time was when anchored in Quartermaster Harbor, Vashon Island, Puget Sound. After a wonderful night at anchor we decided to leave around 10 am. The wind was blowing 20 kts and I went to start the motor before weighing anchor. gRR, gRR... Had to get the sails ready, weigh anchor, set sail, and sailed over to Quartermaster Yacht Club, sailing through a bunch of anchored boats and dock on the outside, a 35 footer on about 20 feet of dock space. Had one chance and my significant other was to quickly jump off the boat with the dockline and get it on a cleat but panicked at the last second so I quickly took the line and jumped off and cleated it, and ditto with the other lines. Asked the neighbor if I could borrow a few amps to run the 4 amp charger I had and about 10 minutes later there was enough power to crank the engine and it started. We sailed out on a broad reach and the engine at fast idle to charge the battery and made it home fine. The other memorable time was in Pender Harbor up the "Sunshine Coast" in BC on a cold, wet, and windy morning. This time it wouldn't start so I opened a couple pressure release levers and after a bit water was running out of the air cleaner. This took a mechanic and several hours to figure out the problem.

B

BON Editorial

Final results

Final results for the Quick Quiz ending 7/24/2000 Has your engine failed to start? 38% Yes; I fixed it 30% No 19% Yes; called help 11% Yes; did without

Status
Not open for further replies.