Engine/transmission problems

• Thread starter eric gritzmacher
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

eric gritzmacher

Can't keep in gear much above 1000 rpm. Keeps jumping out. Water is leaking into oil and some oil seems to leak into bilge. Bottom of engine is rusty. Once in gear and and moving, engine seems to run smoothly. No problems starting or warming up. It is probably the original Atomic 4 and who knows if/when it was rebuilt. Mechinc (who comes highly recommended) recommends running it until failure and then just replace the whole system , including shutting box etc. Says a "good" bench rebuilt engine would cost $4000 to $4500 plus $1200 or so in labor. Very difficult and dangerous to take in and out of slip (plus pumps oil into harbor) so am inclined to go ahead and get it over with. Rest of boat is in really good shape (new sails etc.) and it love the way it sails. Bought it pretty cheap. Am i nuts for putting $5000+ into a 30 year old, $6000 boat?

J

Jay S. Tracy, Jr.

I am in the process of having my Yanmar 2QM15 engine completely rebuilt this winter. The costs are: engine rebuild $2904.00 transmission rebuild 1215.00 Misc (new panel, harnesses and manifold) 751.00 yard costs to remove/install ? If I chose to replace with new engine and transmission the cost would have been about $7,500 plus yard costs. Is it worth it for you to rebuild/replace? You have to ask yourself what the value of the boat is with an engine that isn't any good vs. what it will cost to buy another boat. Jay T. C9.6

E

eric gritzmacher

response

That is the $64 question. As i said, everthing else (well, no boat is problem free otherwise it wouldn't be a boat) is in pretty good shape and I love the way it sails. To find another sailboat for say $11,000 or $12,000 and not have problems (plus i have a great slip) would be a risk and take time. I am making the assumption that once the engine/trans, shutting box etc. is "new" or completely rebuilt I will get 3 or 4 years of enjoyment out of it. I heard that the guy that sold me the boat "cheap" bought a 41' in San Diego and on his way to L.A. where he got a slip, lost his prop and had a number of other issues. Had to be towed back to S.D. where it took 3 weeks to fix everything and I was told he had an inspection. So there you go. Anybody's guess. Thanks for the response and we will see how much work really needs to be done. Might get away for at least a while cheaper. Good sailing.

J

Jay S. Tracy, Jr.

I was told by the Yanmar repair people that I could expect 20 - 30 years of could service after the rebuilding if I maintained the equipment. If you like the boat and don't plan on another boat soon how much fun are you having constantly worrying about whether the engine will work or not? Jay T. C9.6

C

Cam

Engine - Transmission

I bought my boat with a blown Atomic 4. I had it replaced and the mechanic did a very poor job of installing it. I have finally found a good mechanic and his is getting everything in ship shape. When I bought it the surveyor said the hull and decks were solid and I felt the engine was something we could handle. In hindsite, I could have installed a rebuilt diesel in place of the Atomic four. However I was concerned that the installation would cost over 10K with everything they would have had to do. I did see an Atomic 4 for sale on the Sailnet Columbia list for $800. That might make it easy for you. The seller was shipping overseas and seling his Columbia. He had the extra engine and wanted to sell it. It may still be available. As I remember, though it was on the east coast. Shippingf might be expensive. Hope all goes well for you. Cam Whetstone s/v C36 - Wolf's Den Baltimore, Md

T

Tom Vandiver

Columbia 28

I have a 1969 Col 28 with an Atomic Four engine that needs a rebuild. I have located a source of a "same footprint" diesel replacement for less than $5,000 and am considering doing so. A rebuilt A-4, plus fresh water cooling, electronic ignition, oil filter, ect would be over $5,000. The diesel looks good Any comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.