Engine removal?

Jun 17, 2012
C&C 35 MKIII Manitowoc, WI
I own a 1987 C & C 35 MKIII. It has a 3GM 30. I would like to remove the engine and simply completely go thru it. This boat is new to me so I noticed there is very limited space for engine removal. I’m a former automotive technician and automotive engineer. I have always repaired and or rebuilt all engines in all my toys as needed. So here is my question; if any of you C & C owners have ever removed an engine from a like model-I would very much appreciate your tips. Thank you for your time.

Nov 26, 2012
C&C 40-2 Berkeley
I had a Hunter 34 with that same engine and I can tell you that it weights about 300 lbs with the transmission. I lifted mine using the main sheet. I now own a C&C 40 and I can tell you that the Engine access is notoriously bad on these boats especially to the rear of the engine. I am considering adding a hatch in the cockpit floor just above the transmission. Anyway, I hope this helps a little.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Removing engines from boats can be a job for a magician. I often construct an a-frame that fits below. It is usually easiest to remove the exhaust and intake manifolds it will fit through the hatch. If that doesn't do it, keep removing things until it will easily fit through the hatch.
As above maybe you can use the boom to pull it out, swing it to the dock or wherever you want it. I wouldn't pull an engine with the trany, but I guess that is a personal choice. I use carpet remnants from a carpet installer to protect the boat. However, if that engine and trany only weigh 300#, then perhaps a few friends can help you muscle it out and overboard.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Oh boy. Looks like you will be having some fun. This image of a C&C 35 mk3 engine access on the Internet gave me a shudder
IMG_6307.jpeg

I think boat builder's stick these auxiliary engines in the boat with the idea that they will never be removed.

I removed my engine & transmission in pieces, August 2022.

Yours looks to be able to slide into the cabin if you pull the hoses and alternator.
Do you have access to the transmission to disconnect the shaft coupler? If so you may be able to slip the whole system forward into the cabin, then up out of the boat through the companion way.

Drain all fluids. Use carpets to protect the interior and catch the inevitable fluid drips.
We used an A frame and chain lift on a track to raise and slide the dissembled block up and out off the engine bed.

Good luck.