Engine/Prop Vibration

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

We have a new 36 Mark II purchased last year. This year it had developed a severe vibration at 1400 rpm. The vibration is there only when under load. We have dove on it and the yard has evelauted the alignment and cutlass bearing. They have said everything looks in good shape - no misalignment. We did notice that bronze shavings started to appear in the stuffing box water coming in. So its appears as those the shaft is wearing itself away. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? I think that the engine may have been out of alingment since day 1 when they comissioned the boat, and that it has slowly been wearing. And now after several hours of motoring, the shaft has gotten worn so that its not longer true. Catalina said they've never hear of this before - just wanted to see if anyone else has head a problem like this.

B

Bill

Ever heard of Aquadrive?.........

This won't tell ya what your problem is (sounds like you're on to it though)but you may want to check out www.aquadrive.net and see their product that eliminates the need for precise alignment between the engine and prop shaft. I got a quote of about $ 1100 for one for a 36MKII (n.i.c. installation). Everything I've heard about it says that your boat will be come smoother and quieter. This is the same thing that worries me as I approach boat ownership "will the engine and shaft be properly aligned" so I think I will be starting out with an Aquadrive unit right from the start...as well as an Autoprop. Too bad that boat manufacturers having engineered and built thousands of boats can't ship a boat with an engine and prop shaft that doesn't need to be aligned by someone out the field.

G

Gene Foraker

vibration

Somthing is wrong and don't take no for an answer. It must be either engine alignment, prop shaft bent or an out of balence prop. If the dealer won't check it out fully, hire an independent. This is not normal.

S

Steve

Thanks Gene

Gene, Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to need to compile a case against the broker and manufacturer. Steve

C

Chick

Another Vibration Cause?

I have a '95 Catalina 36 MkII and had a strong vibration problem at low RPM (under 1000). Turned out that the bolts holding the engine mounts to the floor had loosened and the entire engine was elevating on one side and bouncing. When I tried to tighten the bolts, they just spun. So, I had to put epoxy in the holes and use larger bolts. This solved the problem.

C

Chris Hyland

Vibration

Hey Chick, It is possible that the shavings he is seeing are a symptom of the problem rather than the cause. I'm thinking the prop should be checked to see if it's true. One blade ever so slightly bent in shipping, or caught in a travelift strap would yield vibration. I would look at that as well. Chick, Di you end up changing the engine mounts as well? I've heard aftermarket mounts really are worth the effort on the C36. They cut vibration to less than half. Regards, Chris

S

Steve

Good Ideas

Thanks for the good suggestions. The yard thinks they found the problem. Apparently the engine sits too low. They (Catalina) had the motor mounts up as high as they could go, but it still wasn't high enough to get the right alignment going out through the hull. So, the fix was to put shims under the mounts to get them up higher. This seems to have take care of the majority of the vibration. I think this winter I will pull the shaft and replace with stainless steel, have the prop reconditioned, and triy the after market motor mounts. Thanks again, Steve

S

Steve

Motor Mounts

Chris, Could you point in the right direction to purchase after market motor mounts? I've looked at West MArine, Defenders, etc., but they only have outboard motor mounts. Thanks, Steve

C

Chris Hyland

Go back to your dealer

Steve, I would chase the dealer and have them go back and speak with Frank Butler about this.. Sounds like something wasn't setup correctly by the dealer or the factory. Regards, Chris

C

Chris Hyland

Check the C36 mailing list archives

Steve, Check the archives or drop a note on the list. I personally don't remember the brand but the people who used them will. Regards, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.