Engine problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 21, 2006
catalina 25, 30 montauk / manhattan
Universal M18 Catalina 30

While bringing boat from winter storage to summer mooring after motoring a couple of hours engine suddenly quits. Start back up and finished the next 2 hours. Next time out quits and this time won't start back up.

- replaced fuel filter
- replaced fuel pump filter
- replaced water separator filter
- bled fuel line
- new batteries (did not check alternator, gauge reads 14 when engine running. Although realize old gauges aren't always reliable)

Sailed about 3 more times with no issues. This weekend motored a couple hours to an from a marina for supplies. Then after sailing several hours went to anchor for a break and engine quits but I'm able to anchor. After a couple hours starts up fine and I cautiously motor 3 hours back to the mooring with no problem. This morning start up fine after running 15 minutes quits again same thing.

Not sure what else to check?? Have owned the boat for 3 years, not sure about the fuel tank.

Sorry for long post!

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
crack your fuel fill where you put fuel in and see if that stops it you may have a clogged vent on the tank.....

regards

woody

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The other "usual suspect" with those symptoms might be the little screen on the end of the fuel pick-up tube in the tank...Some boats don't have 'em so only persue that if the vent is plugged..

May 21, 2006
Vent is on transom coming though the stern locker. Sorry, what/how to check if clogged.

Side note, filled the tank yesterday morning. I don't have a gauge but it seemed to take less than I would have calculated. Started coming out of the vent; I let the dock attendant fill so not sure if was filling too fast.

Feb 27, 2005
Hunter 33.5 Missouri
You might check the fuel lines as well and the connections. A crack in a line or loose connection might be allowing just enough air into the system to shut it down.

weinie

Sep 6, 2010
Jeanneau 349 port washington, ny
You might check the fuel lines as well and the connections. A crack in a line or loose connection might be allowing just enough air into the system to shut it down.

+1

Bleed it as soon as the engine fails. If it starts right up again, you have an air leak in one of the fuel lines.

May 21, 2006
flush fuel tank?

will check all the fuel lines. other than seeing something obvious is there a good way to check?

not sure if can't make out the photo however this is what came out when i changed the fuel pump filter. could it just be that there's too much crud in the tank and need to flush it out??

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.