Engine plumbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
On my Perkins 4.154 the salt water pump output is for a 1" hose. The heat exchanger rubber inlet fitting is 7/8". Currently there is a 7/8" custom copper tube that is flared out to the 1" hose. According to TransAtlantic there isn't a 1" rubber fitting for the Bowman heat exchanger.

I cannot find 7/8" hose barb fittings. I also cannot easily find someone to fab a flared end for a 7/8" copper tube.

I don't really want the copper since it's saltwater but that is what is on there currently and I don't see another solution. IF I can find a person to fab the copper tube to flare from 7/8" to 1", I'll keep 3 aboard and monitor the part for regular replacement.

Any ideas?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
Never mind!

Got thru to the head guy at Trans Atlantic. He said the 7/8" rubber fitting on the heat exchanger will accept a 3/4" hose barb and that is a sufficient size for water flow to the heat exchanger. So now all I need is a 1" hose barb adapted to a 3/4" hose barb, which is no big deal. All will be bronze which is what I wanted.

I was blindly trying to replicate what was already there. Should have known better! Parts will be in early next week & I'll be done with that, finally!

RAD

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 30 Bay Shore, N.Y.
I made something similar by taking a brass threaded coupling and putting 2 different size hose barbs on each end

Status
Not open for further replies.