Engine panel cover. Worth it?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My cockpit engine control panel already has a flap covering. I was wondering if these SBO covers are worth installing for protection or will it just trap dirt and insects? Anyone have one? They cost 40 boat bucks.

P9130022.JPG

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
When I decided to replace my panel cover I brought the existing one to a poly-carbonate supply company. They used a " drop " piece ( left over from another operation) that is UV resistant. They drill all the holes and charged me $15.00.. How could I go wrong...

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
When I decided to replace my panel cover I brought the existing one to a poly-carbonate supply company. They used a " drop " piece ( left over from another operation) that is UV resistant. They drill all the holes and charged my $15.00.. How could I go wrong...
Has it worked or become a bug trap? They screw on so some work to get off.

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Go look at what I have. It's a canvas covered foam deal the fits snugly in the space. It's there when we are not using the boat and stored when we are. So, it protects from the weather when the boat isn't in use. Snug enough that it stays put in our winds when the boat is unattended. Kent could probably make you something similar.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Go look at what I have. It's a canvas covered foam deal the fits snugly in the space. It's there when we are not using the boat and stored when we are. So, it protects from the weather when the boat isn't in use. Snug enough that it stays put in our winds when the boat is unattended. Kent could probably make you something similar.
Will Do. He made a nice bimini cover for us. Are you in the water yet? I hope to get my hull waxed and rigging back on this weekend

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Will Do. He made a nice bimini cover for us. Are you in the water yet? I hope to get my hull waxed and rigging back on this weekend
Are you kidding? I'm still at the office! Just waiting for IRS to extend to June 15. Our tax software updates are coming by the hour, it seems. What a nightmare. And, with all the publicity that the filing and payment dates are pushed out to May 17 it tells everyone, hey we got another month. The part they don't promote is ESTIMATED TAXES are still due 4/15. So, effectively for anyone that pays estimated tax, there is no extension. Couple that with the delay in the start date for filing, which put the "easy ones" off, and I'm so backed up that a suppository won't help. Glad there is new water in the lake but IF I get in before Memorial Day it will be because I told my client, sorry you are F'd, which of course as you know is not my nature. "Rant OFF" Have a nice day!:yikes:

Feel free to look at my set up on that control cover. You will have to loosen the tie downs on the cover to get up in there so just secure it all when you are done. Ladder is on the trailer.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Leave a gap at bottom of the plastic piece for bugs and water drainage.
Ken Y

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
I got one- it fit fine, and I was able to drill the screw holes after consulting you tube for instruction