Engine Noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 8, 2006
- - Cypremort Point, Louisiana
Has anyone tried to insulate their engine room for noise? I have not found any info covering this subject. I am concerned about excessive engine compartment heat if I were to insulate.

Sep 5, 2005
- - Sydney, Australia 1989 Cat 30 #5628
I too

would like to know if anyone has been successful with noise insulation. My thoughts are that due to the location of the engine in the C30 you can't really cover all sides of the engine compartment very well(I see eg a problem at the port side where the macerator/holding tank is) and I have been told that unless it is fully covered noise insulation doesn't work. I am less concerned about overheating, as you can switch on the blower to reduce excess heat.

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Eng Insulation

Check West Marine, they have 1/2" and 1" self stick insulation designed for engine compartments. I have 1/2" in my boat and, if I could do it again, I'd put in the 1".

H

Hank

Engine Insulation

In a recent issue of Practical Sailor they looked at a brush-on product used by the USN for noise reduction. I believe it costs about $150/gal direct from the manufacturer and the minimum application is 2 mil thick. PS seemed to be impressed with the product. The good news is you don't have to worry about seams leaking noise nor do you have to make cut-outs for pulleys, etc.

B

Bob

Pushed Up Against the Engine

I am happy someone brought this up again. Really, just how many sailboats do you see with an engine mounted in the galley area? I have looked at insulation stick-on panels, but I share the same concern with really keeping noise down because of the resonance factor extended under the sink and dinette seat areas. One-inch panels would press against the side, top and very lcose to the front of the engine if attached to the teak access panels. Unless the engine is totally surrounded by sound deadening or absorbent material, I feel its a lost cause. Three sided insulation might take a needles width off a decimeter reading, but its not going to take away the noise enough to satisfy. If anyone ever comes up with the magic potion, please spread the word. Until then, its everyone up on deck while the engines rolling! Have you noticed that the new Catalina 309 has the engine under the entrance ladder, beautifully soundproofed? Bob '88 Breezin II

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Counterpoint

Putting the engine where it is on a 30 is one of the best places for it from a performance point of view. Just think of the engine placement as part of the 30's racing heritage. :D

B

Bob

I see you bid and ........

The mid-hull engine placement is indeed great for balance, and performance enhancement, but take a 30 Catalina for a waterway trip (ICW) for 30-90 days of which 75% of that is under power and you'll wish you had an aft mounted engine and full soundproofing! I for one, not being a racer would prefer a quieter cabin under power. The issue before us is just how to make that happen on our 30's. Bob

Oct 25, 2005
Catalina 30 Banderas Bay, Mexico
Add a bulkhead

I'm not familiar with the exact layout of the newer boats. On my '75 it would be possible to build a bulkhead on the port side of the engine to separate it from the rest of the under-sink and settee area. That would complete the "box". There is clearance on all sides but the front for sound insulation. Another thing to check is the prop-shaft alignment. A small error can increase vibration and noise. I guess I'm not sensitive to the noise, by comparison to the Outboard powered boats I've owned in the past the 30 is very quiet. I can see that in a situation where you are motoring most of the time it could become an issue.

B

Bob

Too Much Stuff Around

Moody. As I visualize the engine compartment in my 30 ('88 model), a bulkhead or separation board would add some value in sound supression, but I do not believe enough to make that much of a difference. Shuting off that side eliminates critical assess to the water lines, muffler and maybe a thru hull or two. That alternator spreads out pretty far. I am not saying it cannot be done and maybe a better idea would be to allow for removal of a single panel if access in that area is needed. Gee! Someone can make $$$$ on a retrofit kit. Sound may still resonate up under the sink area. Coming from gas powered outboards, you already know diesels are by no means quiet. Keep it coming. We will collectively get this one licked yet. Bob

J

John

I too have a 30

Well, we all know that without making a major change, the noise issue is a moot point. However, IF the fuel cell ever takes off, an answer would be to use an electric motor with a gear drive to allow for shaft rpm comparable to the petro fuel engine we now have. SO, all of you well educated sailors with engineering degrees start calculating. Ahh..dream on. Sail, dont motor, John

Mar 8, 2006
- - Cypremort Point, Louisiana
THANKS

Thanks to all for the response, I plan to take on this project in the coming months.

J

john

motor sound

HI Larry I used 3/4 " insulation from defender the on wood doors and the set cover on the inside then i made a fome wall between the motor and muffler .I used home depot fome on the bottom of the draws and cabenit then layed some fome on the bottom of the hull.John

Status
Not open for further replies.