Engine Is Starting To Go Back Together

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Finally I have begun to put all the pieces back together. I've been taking my time and completely stripping most every little piece, priming and painting it before putting her back together. I want to prevent any rust or corrosion as long as possible and the factory paint job was horrendous. While I can't paint it all I have painted every piece I have removed. I also decided that I will rebuild the raw water pump while I'm at..

Today I installed the starter, bell housing, new motor mounts, new starter cable, re-wired a bunch of the factory wiring and installed a new rear main seal.

New Rear Main Engine Seal:

Installed In Casting:

Installing the Rear Main:

I am just waiting for the fresh paint on the tranny to fully harden before re-installing the PSS seal, shaft and tranny..

Hopefully she'll appreciate the pampering and reward us with another 2800 hours..:):)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Why didn't you use red paint? ;)

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Maine

FIrst I must say that it is probable illegal to have an engine and engine compartment that clean. Second, you accomplished a lot for a days work. Your looking very good, and should be ready to sail before the snow melts.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Is it really red??

Why didn't you use red paint? ;)

Is it red? I hadn't noticed..:D I must say the factory Westerbeke paint is expensive but it lays on beautifully and is really, really RED! It costs about three times what it should, what else is new, but it really is a good paint..

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Re: Is it really red??

That is as nice a paint job as I have seen. Wiping that will be a pure pleasure. Rather like dusting furniture.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
Doesn't painting it like that make it harder to remove the bolts later on??

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Great looking job, Main.. I have to agree with Ross.. It is a shame that ya couldn't find a bright red paint to do it with! Ya gonna paint the belts that colour?

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Wow! you could eat off that motor. Great job Main Sail. Bet you can't wait to get it out and do a sea trial.

Oct 14, 2005
1983 Hunter H34 North East, MD
Liked your hanger system too...

but a bit more expensive than a coathanger...:dance: