Engine & Genset Pan are they connected ?

Feb 15, 2008
Hunter 49 Sydney
Hi, This relates specifically to a Hunter 49.
Short Version:
Does anyone know if fluid from under the main engine can get to the sump area under the genset and how does that sump area under the main engine get empty if not by manually mopping it up?

Long version :
All Hunter 49's (perhaps, also 50's and some others) but all 49's have what is essentially a false bilge/Pan. So there is the real hull shell then from about the waterline is another inner Sheel/pan that is glassed in but with a gap. Some plumbing cabling etc runs between the shells.
So under the main engine is effectively a sump or small bilge that will collect any leaks from the main engine (before working its way to the main bilge (some how) which lower down where the keel bolts are. Then forward of the main engine is the genset, which has its own small sump/bilge a bit lower than the main engine. This then drains forward into the main bilge and whole is clearly visible in the genset sump to do this. Im guessing the idea being so you can see which one is leaking if you are collecting anything in either of the upper bilges. So after some 17 years if any water/oil/fuel landed under the main engine during some Maintenace etc I would simply (well not so simple) but mop it up. If there was a little bit there I just kept my eye on it, eventually cleaning it up.
The genset (PMS 12) however must have had very cheap hose clips and was often blowing a hose clip and dumping water in the sump area then the bilge.
So recently a combination of water and oil has been collecting under the genset and I have now looked everywhere to find out where this is coming from and cant find it.

There is a small amount also under the main engine which I hadn't cleaned up but Im now suspecting that the actual problem is coming from the main engine, and somehow getting from the sump area under the main engine to the sump area under the genset. Which is perhaps why I have never seen much under the main engine.

So the question is does anyone know whether the main engine sump has some sort of exit whole and to where ?
Can fluid from this area reach the genset sump ?
Or does this area under the main engine rely on the "Dam" wall between the two to be breached?

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
The engine sump pan is not connected to the bilge. This is done on purpose.
In case you have an oil or fuel leak, there is no way you want your bilge pump exiting this overboard.