Engine fan

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
I’m assuming you’re asking about your engine room exhaust fan? Mine has a switch on the instrument panel that we turn on a few minutes before starting the engine.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
In many cases it is wired to turn on whenever the engine panel is turned on. In some cases there might be an extra switch like Michael Davis has, but I’d assume the engine panel first.

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
:plus::plus:
There are some things, like the anchor windlass, bow thrusters, and the exhaust fan, which will only operate when the engine (and, theoretically, the alternator) is running. I don't have a separate switch for my fan, but it wouldn't be difficult to install one. I figured this out when I had a broken wiring connector which gave me an alternator/charging alarm while motoring. I replaced a $1.50 wiring connector instead of a $500 alternator. I have a relay and a small bundle of wires located just below my alternator which controls the "alternator dependent" systems. It used to really bug me, that the fan was always on. But now, I start to get nervous if I'm not aware of the fan running. I'll reach down to feel the exhaust vent, to make sure that it's still working.

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
My 2006 Hunter 41 has a switch on the panel that can operate the blower at any time. It is a DC motor and runs off the house bank. As Diesels don't really need to clear the bilge before starting as there isn't an ignition system nor should there be any flammable fumes in the bilge like a gas engine might have so the blower I'm told is to help cool the engine off at the end of the day. I run it when ever we are using the engine to keep the heat and smell at a minimum in the cabin.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
It’ s not a bad habit to get into. You never know when you might borrow someones gas powered boat.

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
My 2006 Hunter 41 has a switch on the panel that can operate the blower at any time. It is a DC motor and runs off the house bank. As Diesels don't really need to clear the bilge before starting as there isn't an ignition system nor should there be any flammable fumes in the bilge like a gas engine might have so the blower I'm told is to help cool the engine off at the end of the day. I run it when ever we are using the engine to keep the heat and smell at a minimum in the cabin.
That's exactly why I would like mine to work again. I don't have a separate switch on my panel so I continue to trace my wiring. Thanks for the help

Jun 24, 2014
Beneteau 461 Kent Narrows, MD
I have 2000 Beneteau 461 too. My fan hasn't worked in years. It's nice to have but not totally necessary.
There are several areas of possible trouble to check out.
1. The connection on the starter switch. It could be loose or totally off. Or the wire is connected to the wrong post. The fan should run as soon as the switch is turn without the engine actually started.
2. There is a small fuse (kind of in-line) block located under the quarter berth in the battery compartment. it's to the left on the engine compartment wall. Once I jiggled the fuse a bit the fan started to blow ?! Engine running.
3. Fan burned out. There is a limit to how long it is functioning. The hours are written on the box.

It is not easy to follow the wiring from the starter switch to the fan in the engine compartment above the engine.
Some other Beneteau models have dual fans located at the exhaust exit at the stern.
Good luck and please let us know how you fixed the problem.

Cheers
Peter on"Belvedere"
Chesapeake Bay, Kent Narrows