engine controls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2007
- - Tulsa
I've got a '78 C30 that was converted from tiller to pedestal steering at some point, but the engine controls are still located on the port side of the cockpit. Friday night the clutch control handle broke. Does anyone have ideas on where to get a replacement control setup? Is changing this to single handle control a viable option? It looks to me like moving the controls to the pedestal would require changing the cables.

Dec 15, 2004
Catalina 30 Benicia, California
Moving engine control to the steering pedestal

Hi - I'm just in the process of finishing moving the engine controls up to the steering pedestal on my 1980 C-30. My steering pedestal is made by Edson and they sell a kit with all the parts you will need, including new cables. The original ones are too short. They have several different options, depending which engine/transmission configuration you have. You can contact them at www.edsonmarine.com. Their tech support folks seem quite knowledgable. It is a medium-sized task, with the most difficult part being routing of the new cables. If you're not sure whether you have an Edson steering system, take the top off the steering pedestal (usually the compass housing) and look inside the pedestal. The Edson pedestals have a small, blue label with the serial number on it. If your steering pedestal is not by Edson or you don't want to relocate the engine controls, you should be able to find the necessary replacement cables at either West Marine or Catalina Direct. If you have an Atomic 4, make sure you get the super-heavy duty shift cable. If you want to discuss this in more detail, you can contact me at bob@chelseacomputer.com. Good Luck! Bob Boller

Status
Not open for further replies.