engine access on older cat 27s ...is it that bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

william

i am considering a cat 27 as my next boat. i have a hunter 23 now. there are so many different variations of the cat27 over the years its a bit confusing. one thing i have heard about repetedly is the inaccessability of the engine. can i hear some oppinions on this. i have never had a diesel and know nothing about them therefore i am a little scared of them. if it broke i wouldn't have a clue where to start looking. the old atomic 4 gas would be another matter....i have built several gas engines and would not be uncomfortable at all doing a complete rubuild.....but i digress. are the engines/transmissions/bearings et al really that hard to get to and service on these boats. my preferance would be to have it right out in the open where i can crawl on all sides and underneath!! mechanical service upkeep and relaibility are paramount on any boat that i consider. i have considered the outboard version. thoughts?? does the outboard fit completely in a "well"? is this a working solution or a kluge? tia....william

Status
Not open for further replies.