Emergency Tiller for 78 33'

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steven Currie

Hi fellow Hunter owners. I have a need for an emergency tiller, have searched everywhere for one, even contacted Hunter directly. All that I've come up with is to make my own from scratch. I don't have a problem with that, just would like to find an original equiptment model if possible. Anyone out there have one to spare? Thanks!

S

steven f

good luck

I've been looking for over a year, nothing. As we speak I'm having one fabricated at a local metal shop.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
How does yours work?

Steve: How does the e-tiller work on the H'33? On our H'31 there is an inspection plate aft of the stern seat. When we remove the inspection plate the top of rudder post is there. Our e-tiller is a short piect if medium walled pipe with slots in the side. The pipe is then welded to a piece of flat metal stock that is just short of the wheel. It looks something like this. Flat Metal plate __________/____________ | | | | | <-- Medium Walled Pipe | | | ^ Slot in pipe. Sure hope we never need to use this, but we have it close at hand for an emergency.

T

terry dornan

thanks

you guys just solved a problem i have been thinking about on my 30

S

Steven Currie

Thanks for the help

Appreciate the suggestions from you all, the H'33 has an inspection plate behind the wheel, within 12'', or centered between the wheel pedestal and the stern lazarette/seat. On my other boat (not a Hunter) it was similiar to the H'30, but the H'33 is a different animal. The tiller will have to be reversed to clear the wheel, that's why I wanted a production model emer. tiller. I guess I'll just have to have one made. Gracias again, safe sailing to you all!

J

Jim Logan

Emergency Tiller for H33

I still have the stock emergency tiller for my 33, and it is a piece of 1.5" pipe about 3.5 ft long with a 70 degree bend in the center to clear the lockers - it is made out of mild steel, and rusts like crazy in the normal marine environment, which is why they are so hard to find - I barely saved mine, and it is probably not as strong as it needs to be. Never have had to use it so I can't say how it works.

S

Steven Currie

Thanks

Thanks Jim for the info, sorta what I figured it had to look like, what about the end that connects to the shaft? Is there just a pin through the end that rests in the boss atop the rudder shaft?

S

steven f

you got it

Your exactly right, the part that actually connects to the rudder shaft is basicially a pipe with a pin through it. That pin rests in the groove on the top of the rudder shaft. On mine I just found a pipe that fit around the outside of the shaft, had a pin welded in the center of the pipe (about 1.5" up from the end of the pipe). The pipe comes up from the rudder towards the wheel than bends (about 70 degrees, not exactly sure on the angle) up, around and back towards the stern. The interesting part is the reverse angle. What I ended up is a reverse tiller. My tiller points towards the stern.

B

butch allison

got mine

i have the original...its rusted in place in the lazarette...if you want it for a template ill hank it out for you

Status
Not open for further replies.