Emergency steering knocking

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Hello: I have an oday 302 where the emergency steering shaft is slightly moving creates knocking noise when sailing in light winds. At the Helm seat top of the hump you can remove an access port by removing two screws. That is where the emergency tiller can be inserted. There is a fiberglass tube that goes
IMG_2153.jpeg
down to the quadrant, inside the tub is a metal post to insert the emergency tiller. There is slight movement with the post that crests a knocking noise. Anyone ever experience this and if so any suggestions on the fix. Thanks.
IMG_2155.jpeg

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Looks like the upper rudder bearing is worn. I'll defer to those more familiar with the O'Day 302 on the type of bearing and the fix.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Thanks for the response, oday 302 does not have any bearings for the rudder. Just a fiberglass tube that the rudder stock fits in. Does have a lower grease fitting I pump some grease in each year but the grease only gets to the quadrant and down. No grease above the quadrant to the emergency steering tub.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Look at the photo. You can see the SS rudder post, then a dark brown band, and then the white gelcoat. the dark brown band is the upper rudder bearing. It may be a high molecular weight plastic. Clean it up a little more to see.

Check with Tides Marine. They made a lot of rudder bearings.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a 322, similar set up to the 302. I agree with @dlochner to clean up the top of the emergency tiller access and see if there is something just outside of the metal tube.

Does the metal “tube” rotate when you are steering? I assumed that the metal was part of the rudder stock.

I can’t say that I know for sure if there is a bearing or not at the top (but it seems to make sense that there should be).

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 30 Stamford CT
Voyager1.....I have a1983 O'Day 30 and my emergency steering access port looks just like yours. I have never looked into how the rudder is set up but I did order a set of rudder bearings from D&R years ago for my spare parts bin. They are made from a white plastic or nylon. When I go up to my boat I'll take a picture of them and post it. I would call D&R and ask them if the 302 has rudder bearings.

Oct 29, 2017
ODay 302 Kenosha WI
Thanks, I did call D&R sometime back he is the one that told me the rudder post does not have bearing. The early post is correct the emergency steering does have a bushing shown in the photo. Anyone know how to get it out to replace?