emergency rudder options? H42

eianm

Jul 7, 2010
Hunter 42 Sydney
Just wondering if any clever person has developed an idea for emergency steering in the event of a damaged rudder- just a thought!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Push come to shove I suppose you could lash one of the cabinet doors onto a pole to steer.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
You can steer by trimming the sails. We carry wood that would allow us to build a steering oar. But I’m happy most of our cruising is in reach of tow boat operations.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Here is an idea. I have watched a Swan steered by a using a drogue.

Info and a video on this can be seen at this link.

Oct 22, 2014
@eianm Glad I could help. You sail in waters that require self sufficiency as there are not a lot of cell phone reachable tow boats around.

It certainly looks like a feasible way of solving the problem. I have an emergency rudder with my Monitor Windvane (in the box to be installed this spring). The expense of a Galerider or other drogue is on the list of possible equipment. Dependent on open ocean passages. With the thousands of miles of Inside passages available it may take a lifetime to explore all of the PacificNW waters.

Feb 23, 2018
Hunter 356 Marseille
Safran de secours - Seatex. thé most commun crisis going over the ocean= losing your rudder\steering.
i have This on my boat. If you really think a cabinet door on a spinnaker pole works try it out! >>> it doesn't!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Many years ago, a friend lost his rudder about 300 miles off Spain. It was a 42' aft cabin with skeg-hung rudder. It just fell from the post. It had been an east coast boat, so I suspect it was a freezing issue. Anyhow, I posted on this site and ultimately the Hunter design team responded with some suggestions using a spinnaker pole and floorboard plus lashings (the boat was not a hunter). Now, this guy had a workshop, generator and full equipment aboard and was a skilled craftsman. It still took him two or three tries to get a stable rig to take him near the harbor in Caruna (sp?) Spain. I think the lesson here is to not assume you can cobble something together. And, BTW, the drogue steering didn't work for him. Don't know why; he had one. If you are seriously worried about it, i would spring to have one constructed and pre-rigged. I know that one of the windvane manufacturers made one. It used to be advertised I think in Lats & Atts. I looked on line but couldn't find it. Anyhow, if they are still around, it's probably a good option. Offshore race boats are required to carry one for many regattas. Good luck.

Oct 22, 2014
The Monitor wind vane has a solution.

Can it convert to emergency steering?
Yes, the Monitor can convert to an emergency rudder system by using the optional MRUD emergency rudder.