Elusive ALDEN MISTRALS

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
During the life of my “Alden Fiberglass Boats" List post, the following Alden Mistrals have remained elusive. Anyone know of their status/ fate etc?

- Original name underlined
- Boats which have subsequently reported-in have been removed from this post by edit, but read subsequent posts for info.

981C (1965) Halmatic/Field sloop, PERELANDRA (ex MAKAI, ex GALLIARD). Originally commissioned by Walter B. McKinney, W. Hartford, CT.

981F (1966) Halmatic/Moody sloop, SONSIE. Originally commissioned by R. J. McDougall, London, England (port: Hamble, England)

981H (1966) Halmatic/Field sloop, TRUE NORTH (ex VEDRA K). Originally commissioned by J. R. Kay, Durham, England. (Believed: Halifax, Nova Scotia, 1980)

981M (1968) Most elusive of all, because probably not built... Would love to be proven wrong!

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Hi Gregg,

Sadly you don't get the pleasure of dealing with the late Niels Helleberg who passed away early this year (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=400).

Make contact with MIT using the "How To Order" tab here: http://www.aldendesigns.com/99years/detail.php?ID=1924

Good luck. It would be great if you could report back here on how it is to deal with MIT for drawings/ archive material.

Fair winds,

Iain

May 19, 2008
dealing with MIT was great. very reposive. still filing. but got what I needed and now have a original sail plan and full original design proposal.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Great to hear Gregg. I'm sorry not to have acknowledged before now!

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Which Alden Mistral?

Anyone know which Alden Mistral this is undergoing a refit at Buzzards Bay Yacht Services?

Graphic illustrations there of the more invasive/ drastic way of replacing the chainplate backing plates located inside their top-hat frames.

Can the integrity of the top-hat frame to hull bond really be retained with this method? The alternative - internal - method explained elsewhere on this forum is to open the lower end of the top-hat frame to prize out the old backing plate. Remember that this plate is not the chainplate; the chainplate is fastened through the in-hull facing face of the top-hat frame. What is seen in these photos is the plate these fastenings are located to.

Structural stuff is a discussion for another thread though; sometime, it would be nice to better group the threads here for ease if finding...

But i.d of the Mistral would be nice here...

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That seems severe to me, Iain. I've been waiting to hear if others have done this same method.