ElectroSan System

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
S2 9.2C Great Sacandaga Lake
We just bought a S2 9.2 center cockpit. We are looking to replace the ElectroSan marine head system, with a traditional holding tank. Anyone done this in their boat. We would appreciate any helpful advice. Thanks!

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
Yes, we've actually done some research on Air Head, Nature Head, and C Head. Are you using a compost head? If so, which one and do you recommend it? Thanks for the advice.

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
MMcD, I am curious to hear why you are looking to get rid of the Electro Scan. I've been toying with the idea of replacing our holding tank with one of these types of units. My home marina doesn't have pump out station so being able to safely discharge seems appealing.

jguyer

Sep 16, 2010
S2 8.5 Milwaukee
My firend has had the natures head on his boat for over 10 years. He loves it .. He has no electric exhaust fan, just a vent host. He is proud to say that " there has never been any smell." And that he has NEVER emptied the "solids" part. However, I don't think he poops in it very often. I have read that these toilets can get overwhelmed if used regularly by large crews. If I had to replace the entire toilet - holding tank system I would go the composting rout. However since my septic system is in OK condition I can't justify replacing it .

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
MMcD, I am curious to hear why you are looking to get rid of the Electro Scan. I've been toying with the idea of replacing our holding tank with one of these types of units. My home marina doesn't have pump out station so being able to safely discharge seems appealing.
Indimini, The boat we recently purchased was previously docked and sailed in salt water, where discharge is allowed. Also, salt water is necessary for operation of the Electro San system. We'll be sailing on a fresh water lake in upstate NY, where discharge is not allowed. If we keep the Electro San system, we'd have to either add a holding tank to the system or remove the system and just go with a holding tank. There's also the issue of adding salt water to the system to have it function. The idea of a composting head has the appeal of being environmentally sound, and easy to maintain. It also eliminates the cost of pumping out..

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
My firend has had the natures head on his boat for over 10 years. He loves it .. He has no electric exhaust fan, just a vent host. He is proud to say that " there has never been any smell." And that he has NEVER emptied the "solids" part. However, I don't think he poops in it very often. I have read that these toilets can get overwhelmed if used regularly by large crews. If I had to replace the entire toilet - holding tank system I would go the composting rout. However since my septic system is in OK condition I can't justify replacing it .
Jguyer, thanks for the feedback. It's great to get input from other S2 owners.

Aug 14, 2014
S2 9.2A Selby Bay, MD
MMcD, sailing on fresh water definitely is problematic for the unit. :) Are you considering selling the ElectroScan when you pull it from the boat? Assuming it is in decent working order, I'd be interested in knowing what you would want for the unit.

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
MMcD, sailing on fresh water definitely is problematic for the unit. :) Are you considering selling the ElectroScan when you pull it from the boat? Assuming it is in decent working order, I'd be interested in knowing what you would want for the unit.
Indimini, sorry for the long delay in responding to your last post. We're hoping to start working on our S2 9.2c soon. When we get the ElectroSan unit out I'll let you know. If you're still interested we can discuss what it may be worth.

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
We're trying to get information on where to place a holding tank in our center cockpit S2 9.2. We'd appreciate any feedback from other owners of 30' S2 9.2c that have marine heads. Where is the holding tank located? Have there been any issues (odors, mechanical problems, etc.)?
Thanks!

MMcD

Oct 23, 2014
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Indimini,
I know its been a long time in getting back to you, but I'm wondering if you are still interested in the Lectra/San system. We have all the parts and it was in working condition when we took it out last year. If you will pay the shipping you can have it. Let us know. Happy sailing, MMcD

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Consider placing close to the toilet. Long runs means the grey water is sitting in the hoses not the tank, and it's the hoses that get to stinking....