Electricity hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
C&C Mark 1 35' Deland
I just got an older C&C 35' 1973 where and how do I hookup my shore power, and how do I hookup my solar to my house power safely? I still have my equipment such as wind direction and wind speed meters and would like to repair them. Could someone tell me on this original equipment stuff. Also where is my shore plumbing hook into on the boat. I need location for this. I really like this forum a lot, it been helpful a rookie like me. I appreciate all the help anyone can give me. Thank you all.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It's hard to tell if you are kidding us. But it isn't April 1st so here goes:
Not all boats have shore power and an older C&C might not. But if your boat is so equipped, somewhere - usually near the transom- there is a plug in for 110 shore power. It will receive a three prong plug and mates with a 30 amp shore power chord. The other end of the chord plugs into the shore power source on the dock - another locking 3 prong plug. Depending on the quality of the installation and subsequent maintenance over the last forty years it may or may not be safe to turn it on. You should have the wiring checked by a qualified marine electrician.
I'll defer the solar question since I don't have such a system.
Instruments: Please forward specifics. Manufacturer, model, what the malfunction is. As a methodology I would first see if the units have power. If not I would test them with a portable power source before rewiring to see if they even power up. If they have power I would turn the attention to the sender's and their wiring and connections which are dubious in almost any installation. The the anemometer at the top of the mast - right? How do the wires go through the deck? It's likely they are in the mast and exit somewhere below the deck and attach to a terminal block. You can test the circuits there. If all else is good the anemometer can be replaced but it is pricey. At that point you have to consider new all around. Of course if the mast is down it's a lot easier.
Shore plumbing: I hate to disappoint you and I hope I've misunderstood you. I've never heard of this. If you have a holding tank, which isn't a certainty on this boat, there is a pump out deck fitting - marked "Waste" You probably have below waterline discharge even if you do have a holding tank. It is illegal to use almost anywhere.
I hope this is helpful. Others on this forum can give better information.

Dec 24, 2012
C&C Mark 1 35' Deland
It's hard to tell if you are kidding us. But it isn't April 1st so here goes:
Not all boats have shore power and an older C&C might not. But if your boat is so equipped, somewhere - usually near the transom- there is a plug in for 110 shore power. It will receive a three prong plug and mates with a 30 amp shore power chord. The other end of the chord plugs into the shore power source on the dock - another locking 3 prong plug. Depending on the quality of the installation and subsequent maintenance over the last forty years it may or may not be safe to turn it on. You should have the wiring checked by a qualified marine electrician.
I'll defer the solar question since I don't have such a system.
Instruments: Please forward specifics. Manufacturer, model, what the malfunction is. As a methodology I would first see if the units have power. If not I would test them with a portable power source before rewiring to see if they even power up. If they have power I would turn the attention to the sender's and their wiring and connections which are dubious in almost any installation. The the anemometer at the top of the mast - right? How do the wires go through the deck? It's likely they are in the mast and exit somewhere below the deck and attach to a terminal block. You can test the circuits there. If all else is good the anemometer can be replaced but it is pricey. At that point you have to consider new all around. Of course if the mast is down it's a lot easier.
Shore plumbing: I hate to disappoint you and I hope I've misunderstood you. I've never heard of this. If you have a holding tank, which isn't a certainty on this boat, there is a pump out deck fitting - marked "Waste" You probably have below waterline discharge even if you do have a holding tank. It is illegal to use almost anywhere.
I hope this is helpful. Others on this forum can give better information.

I have found my shore power its actually on the starboard side near the front??? wierd I think, I have found nothing marked waste. I am going to forget about the anemometer and not worry about it. I am concerned about grounding, have found a think wire under my flooring near the mast I think that should be grounded but it is unattached, I think it should be grounded, kind of like a lightning arrestor I would think. I am a rookie to all of this boat stuff but sorry I am so stupid, but I am learning a lot has I go along. I am taking the boat out soon with some help so it should be interesting. Thank you for your input. I really to appreciate it.

Jul 25, 2007
-Irwin -Citation 40 Wilmington, NC
I would recommend you hire someone to help you out a bit. Very difficult for folks here not seeing or knowing your boat to provide useful information and in some cases you may get confusing information. paying someone for a couple of hours time could in the long run save you a lot of expense and aggravation. Look for a local Captain, surveyor or other professional who would be willing to spend a afternoon with you to help educate you on your systems, I am sure you will be glad you did. Welcome to the world of sailing it looks like you have jumped in with both feet!

Status
Not open for further replies.