Electrical Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rich Predko

Looking for information and or help. I have just launched my boat 4/19/2002 and my diesel engine would not turn over, the mechanics finally jumped it off the starter, they said my batteries needed replacing. I took them to Sears and had them checked and he said nothing was wrong with them, other than I added water and he said i have to trickle charge them. Do you think this is what the problem is? or do I go buy new batteries?

L

Lee Hound

If the engine doesn't turn over...

Rich, if the engine doesn't turn over with your batteries but with a jumper from the starter, the only explanation would be electrical resistance between the batteries and the starter. Provided, your batteries are ok, check the terminals (often you don't see the oxidation layers. Terminals should be shiny clean, so should be the inside of the wire lugs).Then clean the starter terminals. Even if jump starting worked, they can contribute to the problem. After this check the copper lugs of the battery cables. They often have internal corrosion behind the insulation. If you wanted to save money and bought automotive cables that have been in there during the winter, change them. Usually it is a combination of corrosion problems that lead to a total black out. Don't give up! Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.