Electrical Issues

Aug 17, 2019
Catalina 25 Fairhope, AL
Hey y’all...I own a 1980 Catalina 25 and am having electrical issues. The stereo, depth meter, and marine radio all of sudden stopped working. I checked the marine batteries and they are fully charged. I checked the connections to the batteries and they are good. Also, checked the fuses and they are all good. Where do I go from here? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
OK, so the fault is likely common to all of those circuits. Are there any other circuits that are working? Check the connections to the back of the switch and fuse panel. You will need a voltmeter, preferably a digital one. A test light can also be used to quickly confirm connections but it will not help find a marginal connection. It doesn't sound like you have anything marginal, rather an abrupt discontinuity in the ground wire or the positive feed.

Make notes as you go along in T/S. Start where power and ground connect to the panel and work toward the circuits that don't work. Patience and attention to detail will get you the solution.

Remember that the fault can be either in the positive feed or the ground connections. You must check both halves of the circuit.

If you have circuits that work, look for differences in connections between the ones that work and the ones that don't work.

Oh, yes, do you do anything to the electrical system or did anything happen right before the failures? Coincidences are rare. Again, another clue could be there.
You are a detective- clues are important.

Ask more questions if you have them.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Main battery switch, terminal fuse on the battery or a resettable fuse between the two. Only thing to do is trace the lead with a volt meter.