Electric Winch Recomendations

Aug 16, 2024
Hunter Legend Annapolis
Hi

I sail a 1986 Hunter Legend 37. I am looking to replace one of the halyards manual winches with an electric winch. They are 30s and I have not seen a conversion kit, so assuming will need to install a 40.

Would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks, Mark

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Not specific to your boat, however, things to consider on the electric winch conversion.

Most electric winches have motors that hang down below the winch itself, do you have room below the winch for the motor? I believe Selden is an expedition and have a self-contained winch.

Wiring can be an issue, the winch will draw large amounts of current for a minute or two. This will require large cables, perhaps as large as 2/0 depending on where the cables connect to the battery. This can be both expensive and hard to run. Last I checked 2/0 is running around $8-10 a foot.

In addition to the cost of the winch there will be installation costs for materials and labor if not a DIY job.

A more affordable and flexible option is an electric winch handle. My favorite and one I have used for several years for raising the main, putting the dinghy on deck, lifting the dinghy motor, and hauling my wife up the mast is an eWincher. Not cheap, but efficient and the most ergonomic of the electric winch handles out there.