Electric Only Portable Generator/Power Station?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Has anyone looked at carrying one of these for strictly day sail and to run a small AC? I was wondering for hot weather comfort on my 310 for our typical day trip out on the lake.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
What model are you thinking about? I don't see why not. A few years back, I had a transient in the slip next to mine for one day and night and they asked if they could run their portable generator for the AC (for some reason they weren't using the shore power) and I didn't even notice it running while they were there as long as I was inside my cabin. (I had my AC running, too.)

I have a Yamaha EF2000 Inverter and it is pretty quiet. I don't have a lot of use for it but it is very nice to have anyway.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm actually talking about the pure electric generators, which are just large portable battery packs. I'm not talking about a gas powered generator. There are a few out, so not any brand yet, just curious if anyone gas fine this way. It would be a luxury for the wife and I for added comfort and enjoyment on hot days.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I guess I should call them power stations or solar generators

Mostly a thought experiment now

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
I'm not looking to save the world or anything either, I have had 2 EV since 2021, I startwith a Ford Mach-e, put 27k miles on it and went to a F150 Lightning last year for more range and to trade both the Mach-e and my Ram 1500 in on to reduce 2 car expenses for one. Living without gas and noise is soo nice and how we use the boat is just out and back so our use case is limited.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I'm actually talking about the pure electric generators, which are just large portable battery packs. I'm not talking about a gas powered generator. There are a few out, so not any brand yet, just curious if anyone gas fine this way. It would be a luxury for the wife and I for added comfort and enjoyment on hot days.
What capacity would you need to run even a small A/C compressor for a few hours? (Rhetorical question).

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What capacity would you need to run even a small A/C compressor for a few hours? (Rhetorical question).
Indeed - that is the question you need to answer. My personal experience with these are that they seem to not actually have the amount of power they claim. Perhaps they state the total capacity, not the working capacity...

dj

Jan 11, 2024
Beneteau 461 Ventura
These are just batteries with inverters right? I assume you already have batteries. You can buy an inverter for a lot less than you can buy one of these. I had a friend on a dock talking about buying one of these and when we looked at the money it turned out they were charging about twice what they should have been for a simple battery and inverter that my friend already had on his boat anyway. It seems like a couple of these companies are doing an amazing job marketing on Facebook to sell people things they don't need or already have or could easily buy for half the price. I agree they should not be called generators. They should also not be called Power stations. They should be called batteries.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

I'm not an engineer or an electrician, but sometimes I play one.

Some quick googleing found this:
How much electricity does a 12,000 BTU air conditioner use? A 12,000 BTU air conditioner uses roughly 900 watts per hour, assuming a minimum SEER rating of 13. You can achieve much more efficient performance with a better rating.

The Jackary device listed above states it has 3000 watts. So if that is actually the case it should run a 12K BTU Air conditioner for about 3 hours (900 watts per hour X 3 hours = 2700 watts).

If you wanted to do it with your existing boat bank:

So assume 900 watts / hour.
Assume 4 hours run time = 3600 watts
Watts = Volts X Amps, so Amps = Watts / volts
Your boat batteries are 12V, so the number of amps required for a 4 hour run of a 12K BTU air conditioner would be
3600 watts / 12 volts = 300 amps.

If you are using an DC to AC inverter to power the air conditioner you will lose some power in the conversion.
If you have 'regular' lead based batteries, you can safely draw them down to 50% capacity, so to provide 300 amps for air conditioning would mean you need a 600 amp battery bank.

And that doesn't include and power used for refrigeration, lights, electronics, etc.

If I've made any calculation mistakes please correct me.

Thanks,
Barry

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
That is great, I'm learning and just thinking of ideas. I agree several are very slick marketing for sure.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I have seen the Honda on that list in use. It is very quiet

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I own the Honda, it is amazingly quiet for a generator. I've owned a number of portable generators.

One thing you do need to check, and fix if needed, is the grounding system. The Honda does not tie the ground to neutral. That should be done. I've no idea if the others are the same or not. Easy to check with a multimeter...

dj