Electric Motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve

Will a electric trolling motor have enough power to move my mac/venture 21? My current gas outboard is all problems. I sail on Lake Champlain, I only need power if there is no wind. Thanks!

D

Doug Rodrigues

Not if there is any wind blowing!

When I had a Venture 2-22 with a 6 hp outboard, if the wind was blowing strong it was impossible to back-up into the wind and turn the boat around in tight quarters. The light hull would be blown by the wind to the point of making just backing the boat nearly impossible. So how do you think an electric trolling motor would do? Just food for thought.........

J

Jim Hughes

trailer

Steve,when your boat's on the trailer,and the keel's raised up all the way, how much clearance do you have between the keel and the rubber for the keel to rest on , when it's trailered. I think my trailer came with the boat when it was new.With the keel all the way up,I've got about 1in.between keel and rubber.When I load the boat from the water,if its not exactly centered,the keel winds up beside the rubber, instead of above it.I just welded soom 1 1/2in. pipe about halfway down the trailer that sticks up 1ft. above the boat,hoping this well center the boat better when pulling it out of the water. Let me know how your boat and trailer match. Thanks Jim

M

Mathew

I use one.

Hi Steve, I use a 50lb thrust Minkota on my V21, and it works well for no/low wind situations. The electric pushes my V21 loaded with two good-sized adults at 5-6 mph. I use it primarily for the first and last 150 feet when launching and retrieving (I'm a trailer sailer).

Status
Not open for further replies.