ELECTRIC HALYARD WINCH FOR MAINSAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TONY GIACCIO

AS I GET OLDER IT HAS BECOME MORE STRENOUS TO RAISE THE MAIN SAIL THE LAST 15-20FT.I'M PUFFING.OPINIONS PLS ON USING AN ELECTRIC WINCH FOR THE MAIN HALYARD ???? THX TONY

D

Don Alexander

Main Halyard

You could do as I have done and fit a block to the headboard and use a longer but thinner halyard (10mm) which is secured to the masthead, passes through the block on the sail and back to the masthead, from whence it comes to the halyard stopper and winch in the normal way. With any luck this 2:1 advantage will ward off the effects of old age (and too much beer ?). I know the feeling. Regards,

R

Rich Stidger

I highly recommend it

Tony, I installed a Lewmar OP-2 to replace a Lewmar 44 for my halyard winch on my 40.5. It is one of the best things I've done. The main goes up effortlessly, and trips up the mast are also easier on the grinders left on deck. The OP-2 is a bit noisy but it does a great job. I also installed a Strong Track system by Tides Marine, and this reduced the friction of the slides in both directions. This is very beneficial because even an electric winch can struggle to raise a main with high-resistance slides. I'm told that the right-angle gear driven Lewmar electric winches are much quieter than the OP-2 design, but I have no direct experience with them. They are however $1000 more. Rich

T

THOMAS E MCNAMARA

ELECTRIC WINCH

I BOUGHT A 99-45FT HUNTER NOT KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT SAILING AND NOT EVEN KNOWING WHAT I WAS GETTING.FURLING MAIN,ELECTRIC WINCH FURLING JIB AND A LOT OF OTHER GADGETS LIKE SEA TALK,AUTO PILOT AND REMOTES.I AM 70 AND OWNED TRAWLERS ALL MY LIFE AND ADMIRED PEOPLE WHO COULD SAIL AND I PLAN ON HEADING SOUTH. I WAS ABLE TO SAIL THIS VESSAL IN NO TIME AND IT WAS A LOT EASIER WITH THIS EQUIPMENT. I AM NOT SAYING I KNOW ALL BUT I WILL GET THERE THE CAPTAIN IN MY COMPUTER IS GREAT FOR ROUTES, BUT I HAD TO GET A NEW MONITOR SO I COULD SEE IT TOPSIDE. I THINK THE FURLING MAIN IS GOOD TO GO ALONG WITH THE ELECTRIC WINCH. MCBUBBA720@AOL.COM

J

Jim Facteau

Elec. Halyard Winch

I also have an OP 2 and it really is a great piece of equipment. Others are envious as I push the button, and presto, the main is in place. Do it!!!

B

Bill Bell

Lube the Track

On our 37 I find it much easier to pull the main up (and let it fall down by itself), if I keep the track lubed with sail track lubricant. The kind that I use is called Fastrac Sail Track Lubricant. It is available at West Marine. You first clean the track with a gadget that they supply, then lube the track with the same gadget. I also coat the slides as I re-install the main. The stuff drys to a hard finish so you don't get it all over the sail. It really helps the last few feet. I normally pull the main to within two or three feet then put it on the winch. You might also lube the winches every year, that also helps a little. Bill Bell Pegasus - H-37

P

Patrick Ewing

You shouldn't have to puff

Mine was difficult too when we first got her. I got the UK sail guy to come to my boat and he showed me a few things which really helped. First, have someone else raise the sail at the dock and you watch the mast while the sail goes up. That was very instructive. I could see all of the little things which added to the friction. Mine had a bad aluminum retaining cover on the mast where you install the slides. It had a sharp edge where the plastic slides caught as the last three passed it on the way up. I filed off the rough edges. Then I replaced the lower three slides which were very worn. I cleaned the track and used some track lubricant (Sailcoat or McLube). The rest of the plastic slides were slightly gummy and I finally decided to replace them all. Finally, Mike said that I should not just loosen the main sheet and vang but that I should physically lift the boom to free the boom to lift as the sail goes up. The weight of the boom and the slight friction from the sheet and vang blocks put enough pressure on the foot of the sail to cause the battens to push forward into the mast and twist the slides slightly causing tremendous friction. If you watch the ends of the battens carefully as the sail is raised, you can see this for yourself and it will be clearer than my explanation. I can raise the main fairly easily now by hand and only use the winch to tighten it up.

T

Tom Payne

Try Lubing

I noticed that it bacame harder to raise my main on my 32 Vision. I was huffing and puffing just like you. I went to West Marine and they recommended some lubricant. I had a budddy raise her up as I sprayed the slides. It was fixed, went up like a drean from then on with an occassional re-spray. An electric winch would be great, but I have other things I would rather spend the money on. Another quick note, I raise my sail from the cockpit, One day I had another experienced sailor on my boat. When it was time to raise the main, he went up to the mast and started pulling on the halyard from the base of the mast. I was completely shocked on how easy it went up. He pulled as far as possible and I gave her a few wraps on the winch. Hope this info helps, Good Luck.

L

Les Andersen

Lube

Tony, I agree with Bill, Tom and Patrick, lube the track. You might also check to see that your various sheaves are turning freely in the mast and under the cabin cover. Also check that your halyard isn't frayed and binding during the raising process. But the simplest solution is some type of lubrication in the track. I have found that using something as simple as Joy detergent squirted onto the slides a couple of times a season works wonders. I can easily raise the sail by hand to within 2 feet of the top with very little effort. When lowering just get out of the way. It drops like a rock. Certainly lubrication is something to try before you invest in a new wench. Les Andersen s/v Mutual Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.