Electric Galley Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Aldo Camacci

Many years ago I replaced the hand pump in the galley on my Catalina 22 (Key Largo, #9285) with a small electric pump. This seemed like a wonderful improvement because I didn't need a helper to wash my hands, however, I had reliability problems. The first one was with the switch. After replacing the switch several times, I found a silicone boot that covered the switch. I installed the boot, and sealed under and around it, and it is working fine. My problem is that I need a recommendation for a better pump. I have been using little plastic PAR Jabsco pumps (~$30). They pump just fine, but are just not reliable enough. I have gone through 2 of these pumps so far. I would like a pump to last at least 5 years. Could freezing in the winter, when the water is drained, or nearly drained, be causing problems with the pumps? I have had failures with the impellers getting stuck and also the bearings in the motor getting stuck, probably caused by the seal to the pump section leaking water into the motor. I would like suggestions for a more reliable pump. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.