Edson Pedestal Outboard Gear Shifter Cable Break

Jul 15, 2020
Hunter Hunter 260 Lake Tahoe
I was docking today and lost steering, this time for a different reason. Where the gear shift cable mounts inside the Edson pedestal the cable snapped at the threaded connector. (See attached photos) It has felt rough shifting for a while (probably since I bought the boat 3 years ago) but just thought thats the way it should be, maybe I am wrong but does anyone have experience replacing this cable?

A couple of questions:
1) Do you know the length of the cable and where I would find it (I don't believe this is anything to do with Edson as I cant find it on their website)
2) Any tips to removing and replacing?

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

Apr 10, 2010
Catalina 310 166 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Somewhere on the cable will be its "model number", this is what you need to get a replacement cable. Mine broke similar to yours and you might as well get a new cable as repairing the broken one is not worth it and the cable becomes untrustworthy. Prior to installing the new one ensure it moves freely and lube the internals with what the manufacturer recommends. It's a two person job unless you are into boat yoga in a big way.

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
I think the cables are standard outboard control cables- see if there are any markings on the outside for the length. Here's the Edson installation manual- see last page for cable replacement instructions. You might need to install a deck plate below the pedestal for access, but may be able to pull the new cable through using the old one without this extra work. Access is from the large panel in the ceiling of the aft berth.

Attachments

Feb 18, 2011
Hunter 260 Cave Run Lake, KY
Here's the deck plate I installed when I added a pedestal guard on my boat. Had to cut a 6.5" hole in the wood/fiberglass below the pedestal for the 6" deck plate in order to bolt the guard feet down. I'm not sure my cables are routed correctly- they were rubbing the sheave so put a spacer in to keep them off the sheave. My boat was converted from tiller steering and if I ever replace the cables will use the separate hole on the right side.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@philiefay

the forum store should know the length of the cables.
Running the cables through the pedestal is easy. Take all the fittings off the cable and run it through a small tube down through the bottom pedestal base hole. Then take a long crow bar or a gripper to turn the cable once it clears the pedestal base If needed. Then. Pull tube out. Once cables are attached to e pedestal only, see if the y. move freely before attaching to motor

Last edited: