ECHO, Alden Challenger design number 949R, turned 60 years old this season!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
The fiberglass hull and deck were cast at the Halmatic Yard in the UK in 1959. The hull was then shipped to the LeComte yard in the Netherlands to build the rest of the boat in wood, she launched in 1960.

She has been owned by the same family for 60 years and it's probably safe to say that the boat has been moored in the same cove on Penobscot Bay, every season since.

I watched a new generation of family owners smartly sail ECHO into Pulpit Harbor and then through the narrow cut into Cabot Cove where she moors. Real sailors. Nice work.

ECHO sailing into Cabot Cove.jpg

Lining her up,...

ECHO sailing into Cabot Cove - lining up._.jpg

and through.

ECHO sailing into Cabot Cove - in the cut._.jpg

Jul 8, 2016
She has been owned by the same family for 60 years and it's probably safe to say that the boat has been moored in the same cove on Penobscot Bay, every season since.

I watched a new generation of family owners smartly sail ECHO into Pulpit Harbor and then through the narrow cut into Cabot Cove where she moors. Real sailors. Nice work.
I think that really says something about these boats when one stays with the same family for 60 years. No need to move on to the "latest thing" when the boat you have already delivers everything you want.

Looking at the photos, ECHO doesn't seem to show her show her 60 years at at all. She still looks virtually factory fresh in appearance. Great pictures as always, Tom.

Adam