East Coast Sailing

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Jackson

I am considering the purchase of a Catalina 42mkII for sailing on the east coast and traversing the intercoastal waterway. I know that the controllng depth is supposed to be 12', however, I have read many articles of sailboats going aground. Is a 6' fin keel to deep for this area? If I go with the 4'10" wing keel, how difficult is it to get ungrounded and how much damage can be done to the wing? I have heard that if you stick them in the mud it can be havoc getting them off.

G

Gerry Hull

East Coast Keel

Like so many things, both have their advantages and disadvantages I have a 4'10" wing and never have been seriously aground BUT if you do run aground it is a bit like having a Bruce Anchor for a keel.Well ,not that bad but you certainly can't heel the boat to get off. That just increases the draft. Row the anchor out and kedge off. On the other hand 6' will raise havoc in the Keys and take some of the fun out of Bahamian gunkholing. The ICW is plenty deep but the channel is not always plenty wide. Moving over for a barge can put you aground with either draft. Having cruised from Maine to the Bahamas for years I'd still go with the shallow draft. My friend, a long time East Coast and Bahama cruiser just ordered a 42 Mk 11 and no question, it is the shoal wing. Just be careful and carry a shovel!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.