Ease of launching a 26X ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jack Kelly

I am considering a 26X and am curious if it really is as easy to launch and retrieve using the motor as the video tape looks... Any owners out there who can comment? Thanks.

J

Jim Bailey

26X Launching

Jack, it is easy after getting the mast up. (That takes time and practice.) The rest is relatively easy. Fact, the boat sort of pops off the trailer, like a cork. Retrieving it is easy too. Its easy with the guides. However, when there is wind and tide to contend with, it might take a time or two. I learned that its wise to make sure the ballast tank is full, when retrieving. I can get it on the trailer a little easier in the conditions I mentioned. Then I just open the valve, and up the ramp I go. Just like in the video. If you get the Mac 26X, I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.

K

Kevin Barry

Video

Hi Jack, The video makes everything look easy!!! But in reality, the 26x is pretty easy to launch and retrieve. I sail out of Rye harbor in NH and the current can make getting back on the trailer a little tough, but I still get on the trailer in one attempt. I do end up with black paint marks along the sides if I don't get on the trailer perfectly straight. They wipe off easy, but this is a flaw in the trailer design. I plan to add a couple of guides to correct this problem. Overall though, the 26x is a joy to load and unload, and sail! Fair winds.

B

Bob

Rigging takes longer than advertised

Putting up the mast and getting the boat takes a bit longer than is usually advertised. As an earlier post says, you get used to it, and it isn't really that hard. Just don't expect to get to the launch and have the boat in the water as quickly as the guy in the 20' runabout next to you. As for the actual launch, it's a piece of cake. It floats off the trailer and you're done.

R

Ron

Setting up my Mac

I bought my Mac a year ago. It took me over an hour to rig before launching it. Now, I have that down to just under a half an hour and I've added things that give me more to do. As far as launching, it's absolutely as easy as the previous replies. I've watched much smaller boats give their owners more trouble than I have. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do.

H

Hank B.

Launching your Mac 26X

It is not like the video. The video shows a gently sloping ramp, no wind, no other traffic, etc. If there's a hint of a crosswind, it's totally different. Suggest you be ready to modify the standard trailer with more side bunks, higher goalposts, and more than anything, a little help, at least till you get the hang of things. Oh yes, make sure to drain the ballast before trying to pull the boat out of the water. It is heavy and even a good tow truck will have a problem on anything steeper than the ramp the video shows. The boat is very good in the accomodations area, price, but lacks speed. Cruising under motor power? Better lighten the load or increase horsepower to at least 70 hp. All in all I'm pleased although a little surprised at the differences between the video and real life experience.

K

Kevin

New Owner Response

As a new owner wanted to give you my perception. You need to take an experienced owner out the first few times. Yes, getting it off the ramp is easy, however if you are not used to it bringing it to a dock can be intimidating the first few times. My advice - be patient, note where the wind is coming from and let it drift more than power. I have taken mine out twice with someone else and will be taking it out the first time without an experienced owner this Saturday.

E

Ed

Ease of Lauching for Kevin in San Diego

I have been reading all the replys regarding the Ease of Launching a Mac26X. It has to be easier than my last Mac 25 with the swing keel. Could be that it sits higher on the trailer that the new Mac26X. I would like to stay in touch with Kevin from San Diego. I have been looking at the new Mac26X and am just about ready to make the purchase. I would like to know how Kevin likes the Mac26X. Thanks, Ed mcnelia2@home.com

Status
Not open for further replies.